15 year old Indy's vision and other health problems

granite

Forums Sage
Indy's vision seems to be worsening. Its been fading from what our vet refers to as mild cataracts and nonspecific aging changes. But this week Indy has really been pasting himself to our legs as we move around the house. When I went to bring him in from sleeping on the deck the other afternoon (full light, covered deck so not direct light) he got up and walked up into the cabinet for the gas grill....he could obviously make out that there was an opening through there but he just walked straight into the gas tank, backed up, and did it again two more times.

His deafness is partial...he can hear booms and loud male voices...if I call him I have to channel my inner bass, lol. The CHF is well managed with the current meds. His arthritis is an issue to the point where some mornings he can't get up unassisted; and many evenings his back legs just wipe out on him. When he falls down he pops up very very quickly as if to say "you didn't see that happen."

I guess the reason for this post is to acknowledge to myself that I am going to have to let my boy cross the bridge....just not yet please. How will I know when it is no longer fair to sustain him? Right now I know we're right; he gives the happy bark when I come home, he does still have small intervals of running (most times uses a sedate stroll though), loves his treats and mealtime, and is responding well to the CHF and thyroid meds. But there are points in every day when he's asleep and might as well be a throw rug (can't wake him up..he's limp), there are times when he is awfully confused, and now he's getting lost coming in from the deck. We're making sure that when Indy goes out he has another of the dogs with him (he prefers one of the guys, particularly Newton) or one of us.
 
My sympathy as you are nearing the hardest point. Where you question whether you are being selfish or lazy and every day he will be so different. My mom's cocker went through that. One day you thought she was not going to make it through the next she was playing with my dog. Good luck and when you are feeling that guilt stop and realize that you would never do anything that was not in his interest. Hopefully Indy makes a turn for the best and has a few more perky years. Of course you could harness Newton as a guide dog for him....
 
Janet, I know how hard this is. We sent Bear over the Bridge when he no longer would walk downstairs. He was afraid, and I just decided that I would make the call. Lassie was so independent that I decided that when it looked as if she might not be able to walk -- in one day or two or three -- that I wanted her never to know that loss of dignity. You know Indy so well...I know you'll know the right moment.
 
Janet, your post brought tears to my eyes. I agree with others, that you will know. Last year, when Foxy was failing, there was a moment on that last day that it seemed like the fog lifted from her blind eyes as they met mine and she let me know that she was ready. and that I would OK. I pray that you will have peace in whatever decisions need to be made and find comfort in the knowledge the Indy knows whatever you do is done because you want the best for him.
 
My heart goes out to you

ai know how difficult it is to see our beloved pets age. Two years ago my beloved Collie Samoyed mix Lacey went to rainbow bridge she was 14 and 1/2 yrs old. I live less than a block from the park and Lacey's legs would give out on her 4-5 times just walking there. I discussed this with my vet during several visits. He said she would stop eating when she was ready. Not my Lacey she enjoyed her food too much. During the last snow storm that winter she slipped on the ice when I took her for her nightly potty outing and sprained her rear leg. A friend helped me carry her into the vets that morning. The vet said lets do an xray just to be sure nothing is broken but whether a sprain or break it'll be a long recovery for her. They left the room and Lacy looked at me as if to say I've had enough Mom I was up all night in pain trying to get comfortable and it's too much for me. I asked her to try and stand for me and she didn't even try. I called the vet tech in and told her not to put her through any xrays she was ready to go to Rainbow Bridge. I talked with her for about a half hour or so and thanked her for all the blessings she had given me. I had gone through some tough times and she was sent by God to be my angel and she was. I read The Rainbow Bridge poem to her and told her to wait there for me I would join her one day and called the vet in. She went in my arms knowing how special she was. Even the vet was crying, he had treated her for 8 yrs. and is a wonderful man.
Indy will let you know just as Lacey let me know. It will be tough but take peace in knowing she lived a wonderful life with very special parents who love her dearly.

I will keep you all in my prayers.
 
Janet, my heart goes out to you and your family, facing this with Indy. It is never easy to see our furbabies suffer, when we want to keep them with us for as long as we can. Indy will let you know when it is time. It may be while he is sleeping or not. It is not an easy decision to make but you will know when he is ready to go. Prayers and hugs are sent your way.

Father - please be with Janet and her family as they are hurting now wih Indy being older and sick. Surround them with Your loving arms and bring them Your comfort. Give them the wisdom they need at this time. Thank you. Amen
 
Janet, my heart breaks for you. It is such a hard decision but you know Indy and you will know when the time is right. ((hugs))
 
We've been keeping an eye on Indy's enjoyment/quality of life now for over 8 months........there had been an obvious decline in his vision in the past week or so. His leg strength declined about 2 months ago, but then hasn't lessened any further since then. On the plus side, he has been more interested in getting petted since the vet increased his thyroid dose a month ago. The vet was also pleased with his heart/lung status on the current CHF meds.
 
Watching others age, whether 4 legged or human, is so difficult. I so feel for you going through this now with Indy. Take each day at a time and ultimately weigh the circumstances for both Indy and you.

My most difficult decision regarded when to let go the labrador that I inherited from my mother. It was her service dog, but I ended up having Ginger for 9 years. Ginger had melanoma and in the end "told me" that she was not hungry by refusing all but the best delicacies, yet she continued to wag her tail, respond to me, and get around. The mixed message and my emotional attachment may have allowed me to postpone the inevitable a week or two too long. My decision was finally made when my sister came to visit and I saw things through her fresh eyes.

A hug to you and to Indy.
 
Janet, I've been in this position many times and know it's an agonizing place to be. Just the fact that you're thinking about this and weighing all the facts tells me you will make the right decision at the right time. I say that as long as Indy still finds joy in life and is feeling fairly well let things be for now but that's just my opinion. You have given Indy a great home and have loved him well. Whatever you decide I know you will have Indy's best interest at heart and will do what's best for him. Fergus,Baxter and I send hugs your way.
 
Back
Top