5 Generations Pedigree.

Smudge

Forums Sage
After spending all night thinking about Smudge and just getting more and more angry over the whole ordeal I took the plunge and ordered a Pedigree research for Smudge. It's only up for 120 hours though. They won't mail them. :rolleyes2:

I know nothing about genetics or breeding. So I need help. There's the normal sables and tri shelties in the mix, BUT. I noticed that several of Smudge's great grandparents are listed as being "sable merle". This is not the same thing as a blue merle, because I'm thinking that the "merle and white" are the blue merles. So could this be the problem? That sable merles were bred when they should not have been? I know you shouldn't breed blue merles together, but should you breed a sable merle at all?

There's at least three sable merles in his history, and two were bred to sable whites and the other to a tri. Please help me if you can. :( Some of his great grandparents were also sable merle.
 
Last edited:
From what I know..as long as the merles weren't bred to other merles...should be ok...
Sable merles are just sables with the merling instead of the tri or bi black...You have to be really careful with sable merles, because its not as obvious as other merles...so if someone weren't "caring" or in the know, may breed them with another merle and get the very dangerous double merleing...

Julie
Clancy (sable merle) and Abby
 
There are sable merles on both his father's side and his mother's side. The blue merle was bred to a sable and white sheltie. :uhoh: Smudge's father is Max and his mother is Shelly. Max is also Shelly's father. I don't know if this would help any or not.

The most recent sable merle is Smudge's great great grandparents on the father's side. That sable merle was a female.

I've also been looking to see if it will list the owner's name for any of these shelties, and it will not. :( I'm curious to know if all of these shelties belonged to the same woman.
 
From what I know..as long as the merles weren't bred to other merles...should be ok...
Sable merles are just sables with the merling instead of the tri or bi black...You have to be really careful with sable merles, because its not as obvious as other merles...so if someone weren't "caring" or in the know, may breed them with another merle and get the very dangerous double merleing...

Julie
Clancy (sable merle) and Abby

I was just wondering. I didn't think this report would help me much, but I wanted to look and see. I sent an email to the AKC telling them that my dog had mange and that's why I wanted the pedigree. I'll let everybody know what they say to me.

Thanks. :smile2:
 
reading the pedigree

Hi Jessica and Smudge,

Does the pedigree list the dogs full names, as in CA CH (acquired title) Rabbit Run (kennel) Maritime (dogs name)? or is it saying Max, Sally, etc? With the full listing of their registered name, you can then go on, and contact the kennel owner, and possibly get some piece of mind. You also get a sense of the quality of the animal, if it is titled, and used for breeding by the named kennel. Also count how many champions are in your pedigree, and at what generation. Any time a dog on a pedigree says "Rabbit Run", you can find me. If you know your breeder, ask them about these dogs in the pedigree, and why she chose these dogs.
 
Hi Jessica and Smudge,

Does the pedigree list the dogs full names, as in CA CH (acquired title) Rabbit Run (kennel) Maritime (dogs name)? or is it saying Max, Sally, etc? With the full listing of their registered name, you can then go on, and contact the kennel owner, and possibly get some piece of mind. You also get a sense of the quality of the animal, if it is titled, and used for breeding by the named kennel. Also count how many champions are in your pedigree, and at what generation. Any time a dog on a pedigree says "Rabbit Run", you can find me. If you know your breeder, ask them about these dogs in the pedigree, and why she chose these dogs.

Smudge himself was registered as simply "Smudge Reed". The reason for that was that I had no intentions of breeding him so I didn't see the need in giving a kennel name. :uhoh: Smudge's parents are both listed as "Shelly lastname" and "Max lastname". The lastname being the last name of the woman I bought Smudge from. There are no CH or CA anywhere. The rest of the names appear to be kennel names. There are, however, DNA numbers below some of the names.

I got Smudge from a puppy mill. I've tried to contact the breeder, but she keeps ignoring me. I don't want money for vet bills from this woman. Because, really, by the time Smudge's mange dips are over I'm "only" out a little over $100. The worms I don't see as being her fault, because any dog can eat a flea. What I do want though, is for this woman to stop breeding. I'm anxious to find other people who have bought puppies from her in the past (or possibly people she has bought dogs from as she has multiple breeds), because I'm afraid of what the future holds for Smudge. My vet told me to contact the breeder and let her know about Smudge so she would not breed Max and Shelly in the future. I can't do that if she continues to ignore me. :(

At the time I did not know what a puppy mill was. I'll never make that mistake again. Now that I have made the mistake though, I need to find out what I might be up against for Smudge's sake. I am getting him tested for the MDR1 gene, but I haven't had time to do it yet.
 
Well, it seems you are doing everything you can at this point. This breeder is probably used to hearing from unhappy owners, and chooses to ignore them.

Maybe all you can do now, is just go forward with your testing, and know you will deal with what ever comes. You are a wonderful advocate for your little Smudge, and may he give you many years of joy and laughter. This forum is a wonderful resource. Everyone is on your team with information and understanding!
 
I don't understand why you can't get a copy of the pedigree if you've paid for it. That's really being cheap on the AKC's part.

You can get screen prints to save, even if you have to do it in sections and piece it together later for printing and take it to Office Depot or somewhere can can produce a large/long printout. I'd sure do it!
 
I don't understand why you can't get a copy of the pedigree if you've paid for it. That's really being cheap on the AKC's part.

You can get screen prints to save, even if you have to do it in sections and piece it together later for printing and take it to Office Depot or somewhere can can produce a large/long printout. I'd sure do it!

What I was really hoping for was that some of the names of the other dog's owners would be listed. I can only search for dogs who have been registered after 2004. So that cuts a lot of the dogs out. I've done searches on each individual dog, and the ones it will show won't tell me the name of the owner. Now that it's just a bunch of dogs on a page I don't know what I can do with that (if anything). The woman I got him from told me she "wasn't very good at computers", but I've tried looking her up in dozens of other places online with no luck. :uhoh:

When the AKC emails me back I could ask them, but I'm sure they don't want to go giving out people's personal information. I can't say that I blame them (even if it is for a good cause!)
 
The AKC people just emailed me. They said they can't give me health information on the other dogs (I already knew that), but I could pay $32 to have a pedigree mailed through the mail. I already bought the online version. Why would I want to pay an extra $32 when I can just print it out? :rolleyes2: Oh well.
 
Back
Top