A Calming Technique?

Lahree

Forums Enthusiast
Our biggest hurdle when out for a walk with Ellie is her wanting very badly to chase cars. She lunges, barks, growls and acts like a nut when a car goes by. She has gotten a lot better about this over time, however, I have noticed something about her. If she is actually walking when a car goes by, she gets anxious and acts nuts. When she is sitting, or asked to sit when a car goes by, she is calm and really pays little attention it goes by. She is gotten to the point now that she sits when she sees a car coming. I am wondering if she is calming herself? Could this be it or do you think she anticipates being put into a sit and is just beating me to the punch? We have worked with her to "leave it" and "watch me" and keep walking when a car goes by and we have also have had her sit when a car goes by, so it's not like we ask her to sit each time a car goes by. We mix it up. Obviusly if sitting keeps her calm when a car goes by, would it be such a bad thing to just let her do that ?
 
I have Megan do the very samething when we see a car coming. I think while we are still training them to behave properly around cars, it's great that Ellie does this voluntarily. It's far better than her lunging and going ape s**t when a car goes by! :yes:
 
Our biggest hurdle when out for a walk with Ellie is her wanting very badly to chase cars. She lunges, barks, growls and acts like a nut when a car goes by. She has gotten a lot better about this over time, however, I have noticed something about her. If she is actually walking when a car goes by, she gets anxious and acts nuts. When she is sitting, or asked to sit when a car goes by, she is calm and really pays little attention it goes by. She is gotten to the point now that she sits when she sees a car coming. I am wondering if she is calming herself? Could this be it or do you think she anticipates being put into a sit and is just beating me to the punch? We have worked with her to "leave it" and "watch me" and keep walking when a car goes by and we have also have had her sit when a car goes by, so it's not like we ask her to sit each time a car goes by. We mix it up. Obviusly if sitting keeps her calm when a car goes by, would it be such a bad thing to just let her do that ?

To answer your first question, I think she is doing a little of both. She is predicting that you are going to ask her to sit, and she also feels comfortable in a sit. She's obviously shown that if she isn't comfortable doing something, she won't do it (or will let you know how she feels about it). I think she knows you're going to ask to do something, and she likes sitting, so she does.

My thought (although who knows) would be to continue mixing it up. Don't always ask for a sit if sometimes "look at me" and "downs" also keep her from barking and lunging. It would be bad if after a while the sits stopped keeping her calm, and you had to start over teaching the watch me or down with distractions. I also think it's another way of her knowing that you are controlling the situation, and in a high-stress situation for her, it may be better for her in the long run.
 
Definately let her keep sitting. That's exactly what Deska used to do - didnt matter how far away the car was, I used to get annoyed with him and get him to keep walking, boy do I regret that now. If he wanted to sit and watch when he saw a car I should have let him, given the alternative turned out to be chasing them. Have you noticed they can't bark when the are sitting?
 
Have you noticed they can't bark when the are sitting?

Bentley wholeheartedly disagrees! :lol: He will sit like a champ, and continue barking. (Not to disagree with your point, just had to add that since I was very surprised that it didn't work for him!)
 
Wow, go Bentley I am impressed must have a very good diaphram. Mine have to at least lift their butts up a bit to get a bark out - always thought they needed that extra oomph from behind.
 
Wow, go Bentley I am impressed must have a very good diaphram. Mine have to at least lift their butts up a bit to get a bark out - always thought they needed that extra oomph from behind.

Well, he has a lot of "oomph" in his behind :lol: (ie he has a big butt!)
 
I think she is calming herself! Maybe when they are standing they are in the fight or flight mindset? I was very surprised when we got Abigail to discover she flipped out if a truck passed. She's okay with cars, but anything big and she lunges and barks her head off. I asked her to sit when I saw one coming the next time and it cured all problems. After a few times of that, she doesn't even react anymore because she is now confident of her safety. At least, that's what I think...
 
Have you noticed they can't bark when the are sitting?

Deja bareks while sitting, although she isn't as loud as when she's standing and if you tell her she has a lot of junk in the truck she'll cry. She has a dainty caboose.
 
Is there a position Sca could not bark in?..... MAYBE underwater :confused2: I did see him get all four off the ground in a bark the other day though :lol:

Yep I would encourage the sit. Sca is the opposite as he wants to run from cars not chase them. He does better if I get him to sit or look at me.
 
Back
Top