a compressed disks

ruckusluvr

Forums Enthusiast
Well, I am back from the vets office. Ruckus has a compressed disk! The vet said that she thinks it is causing him quite a bit of pain and she gave us some steroids, and rimadyl (i dont know how to spell it)
Poor boy has to be rested for a while and we can gradually up his activitiy level. It will be something we have to be careful about forever unless we end up doing surgery. Looks like I will be keeping his two meds on hand from now on.

I am so glad that I took him in. It really does explain a lot. Not only why he is limping sometimes, but also why he has grumpy days. I dont know if I have posted about it before, but Ruckus has aggression issues and we think that his pain is making him where he is a butt somedays.

And his hips fit oddly into socket, but the vet said that she isnt really worried about that, she said it was really minor.

She thinks that Ruckus either was born with the compressed disk or something happend when he was a pup.

Thanks for being there for me guys!
 
Thanks for letting us know, I thought about your appointment all weekend.

I'm glad that its something you can manage, hopefully he'll be on the mend soon!

I wonder if you should maybe look into a dog chiropractor?
 
Poor Ruckus! You have mentioned before that he does get grumpy sometimes and what you found out today does explain a lot! I hope the meds help quickly and he gets back to being himself. I agree with Ontario, I think I would look for a dog chiropractor too!! They might be able to help poor Ruckus!
 
I hope ruckus feels better soon. my husband says he feels his pain! he had a herniated disk that was compressing his sciatic nerve and had to have surgery to fix it. their were days he was grouchy too because of the pain.
 
Ih Ruckus I am so glad this is something they can manage for him. Two of my babies I mentioned before (with the weird leg issues) are on Rimadyl.

I can understand the pain issues and his being aggressive when he is hurting...I am the same way myself.

Give your baby a hug (gentle of course) from all of mine and from me too
 
Poor Rukus...I hope he feels better soon. Rimadyl really works quickly in most cases. Once he's off it, you might want to think about maintaining him on a glucosamine/condritin supplement for his joints, and maybe something like DogGone Pain, which is a homeopathic that they can take with no side effects. And yes, the doggie chiropractors can work wonders! Our blue merle Sheltie angel was so stiff from Lyme disease at age two it was awful. After chiropractic work he was like a puppy again. :yes:

We'll keep sending prayers and good thoughts your way for Rukus. Good luck! :o
 
Glad to hear that Ruckus has a manageable diagnosis!

Hopefully with the Rimadyl and rest he'll feel better and have fewer grumpy days :smile2:
 
Sounds like St. Francis was tuned in! We're all glad here that Ruckus has a manageable condition. Whew!! :yes:
 
Ouch! Man , that even SOUNDS painful! Am glad you got a diagnosis and that it is something that is manageable. As SheltieMom said, two of our kids are on Rimadyl - Maisie and Kimmi. We use PetCareRx to get our scripts, they're pretty good about delivery and the prices are reasonable as well.
 
thank you everyone for your support. I actually need to call my vet back, because I have a few more questions. You cant never ask to many questions. I am suppose to be keeping him lazy and quite for a while, but its hard to do. Ruckus is not suppose to be jumping on and off the furniture, but of course he is. It is hard to get him to stop. And him and Lynn keep wanting to rough house too. Luckily Ruckus is generally lazy unless we are outside.

His hurt back also explains why he lays around most of the day. I think that after we get this sorted out that he will be a new dog. A less grumpy, more playful Ruckus!

I am definitely going to get him some glucosamine/condritin supplements. And I am trying to find a chiropractor right now.
 
Back
Top