A few questions about neutering

Moxie

Forums Novice
So I have a 3 month old blue merle Sheltie/Collie cross. I think. :) Anyway, we live in Mexico where unaltered dogs roam the streets freely. I definitely want to get Levi neutered but am unsure of the best time. I neutered my last male (different breed) when he was about 4 months old.

So regarding neutering:

Will early neutering affect my dogs future coat? Does neutering at all change the coat? Does it affect ear carriage? His ears are low-set hound ears as it is.

Will early neutering affect his growth? Will he probably be more lanky if he's neutered earlier?
 
I like to wait until they are at least 2 years before neutering. I've done alot of reading and not only does waiting let the growth plates time to grow but also been proven that dogs that wait til they are a little older have a less likely chance of getting cancer.

Most vets will do neutering at 6months of age. If you decide not to wait as some people cant put up with the leg lifting and thier urine gets a strong oder ect ect. 6 months is the average age.

It will not affect coat or personality. I had my older male done at 6 months and he has alot of coat and one of my thickest coated shelties.
 
Back
Top