A few questions...

cisobe55

Forums Regular
We've had Bailey for almost 3 weeks now. He's been great, and I think he's transitioned pretty well.

One thing that we're still getting used, is his 6am wake up call... Kinda like a barking alarm clock that you can't snooze. We didn't really have to deal with this with our golden, when he was this age. He would wimper a bit when he woke up, but wouldn't just bark like this. These barking fits typically occur in the morning and evenings around the time we get up and feed him, or around dinner time. However, he often continues to bark after he finishes eating... which in the mornings can be a bit tiresome, and possibly could grow into an issue with our neighbors. For the past couple days, I've been putting his morning meal in his kong wobbler (so it takes him awhile to get his meal out) so I can get get up, take Tobey (our golden) out, feed him and get ready... Bailey figured out how to get his breakfast out of the wobbler pretty quickly now, and has cut it down to about 15 minutes to get his 1/2 cup breakfast! After that, it's just constant barking for the next 15-20minutes, while I shower, make my lunch, and get ready for work. Bailey currently stays in our upstair bathroom, and is not allowed to roam free (however our golden is). I would let Bailey out, but all they typically do is wrestle, and I would have to spend most of my time refereeing or making sure they don't get too rough...

Is the barking normal? and should I try to wait till he stops to check on him and feed him?

Also, another thing that we're having to figure out... Amazingly, Bailey's ears have remained glued since we picked him up, until a few days ago... We picked up a small bottle of Detachol, as recommended by our breeder to remove the glue from his ears (however, it still takes some work to get the glue out, and the hairs separated). It also smells a lot like goo gone, which is a lot cheaper.. can we use this instead? We paid nearly $30 including shipping for a tiny 15ml bottle of Detachol...

One more thing, I'm trying to follow the ear gluing instruction shown in the sheltie talk book... but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I'll try to post some picture when I get home from work. hopeflly i'm doing it correctly...
 
Deska used to bark at 6am every morningto get me up - i coincided with te neighbour leaving at 6am. Then he went through a long time of not waking me up. I just tend to ignore them if they bark and eventually they give up. Although lately they start around 8-9am and I think that is when a dog walks past the back barking.

Cant help you with the ears - I used chewing gum to weight mine down.
 
I've had goo gone suggested to me before. People on here don't seem to like the idea of using it. I used Zoeze, which Jennifer (the sheltie chick I tag along with :lol:) doesn't seem to care for and suggested I didn't use it. She also did not like detachol and said it was too harsh on the skin.

I don't know. You will get 15 different answers from 15 different people, and there will probably be good and decent reasons for why all of them are good and not good to use. I used Zoeze, the CherryBrook brand glue, and Japanese tape. Some people like Speed Sew for glue.

You'll also get 15 different answers on how people taped/glued their dogs ears also. :biggrin2: Also, doesn't mean one is better than the other. I very rarely used a brace, and I probably should have more often. Do Fluffy's ears tip? Yes. Is it a nice tip? I've seen worse. Is it show worthy? Not in a million years. I still don't think I did that bad for a first try though. :razz:

As for the barking...Smudge wakes me up at 5 am every morning. He goes back into his crate for another hour to hour and a half and then he is done for the day. Get him out - now! :lol: Fluffy could stay in her crate all day long. She could care less.
 
Bailey's ears

Here's a pic of Bailey's ears. I tried to re-glue them this morning. We left his ears un-glued for a couple days, since he and his big brother tend to wrestle and it gets undone... however, his left ear started to prick up, so I decided it needed to be redone. Per the Sheltie Talk book, and our breeder, Bailey's ears are set a bit too far apart, so I need to glue them up and together and then tip them...

As far as the barking, Bailey has good days, and he has bad days. Today was a bad day. He woke up at 6am. I waited till he stopped barking, and then gave him his break fast. I tried to go back to sleep for a little while longer, but Bailey had other plans. He decided to bark from around 630 till about 8am!
 
barking ...

Please tell as is the puppy crated to match,
- puppy stays inside the house or outside,
-does he have any free space when he is alone?
-Is he left alone for a long time and wants someone’s presents?

I have never crated my puppy,
I let him to live free around the house and there is no barking at all (neither when we are at home neither when his left home alone - and he does stay alone for about 6 hours every day).
He barks only when he thinks that something is wrong... a strangers presence, an unusual noise , but it is more then a signal that lasts only for about 10 to 20 seconds and just stops when he realises that a member of the family has took the message and looks to see what the problem is about that makes him barking .
 
We followed the crating training advocated in The Art of Raising a Puppy. Puppies need structure and discipline -- they feel safer, and they don't get into mischief (as much).

The ears look good!
 
Is he is the same room with you when barking and maybe he needs to go out first for a while before eating. Does he get you up at night time? They are very social dogs and want to be with you. He sure is cute.
 
Bailey stays in our upstairs bathroom, when we are not at home, and over night. However, he does get to go out and play when we are home, and we let him play with our Golden from time to time (they are still getting used to each other).

I'm thinking the barking is just Bailey wanting attention or food. He usually quiets down when he hears us walking near his bathroom...

Bailey and our Golden are both inside dogs

The barking is only when we are away from him...
 
We've had Bailey for almost 3 weeks now. He's been great, and I think he's transitioned pretty well.

One thing that we're still getting used, is his 6am wake up call... Kinda like a barking alarm clock that you can't snooze. We didn't really have to deal with this with our golden, when he was this age. He would wimper a bit when he woke up, but wouldn't just bark like this. These barking fits typically occur in the morning and evenings around the time we get up and feed him, or around dinner time. However, he often continues to bark after he finishes eating... which in the mornings can be a bit tiresome, and possibly could grow into an issue with our neighbors. For the past couple days, I've been putting his morning meal in his kong wobbler (so it takes him awhile to get his meal out) so I can get get up, take Tobey (our golden) out, feed him and get ready... Bailey figured out how to get his breakfast out of the wobbler pretty quickly now, and has cut it down to about 15 minutes to get his 1/2 cup breakfast! After that, it's just constant barking for the next 15-20minutes, while I shower, make my lunch, and get ready for work. Bailey currently stays in our upstair bathroom, and is not allowed to roam free (however our golden is). I would let Bailey out, but all they typically do is wrestle, and I would have to spend most of my time refereeing or making sure they don't get too rough...

Is the barking normal? and should I try to wait till he stops to check on him and feed him?

Also, another thing that we're having to figure out... Amazingly, Bailey's ears have remained glued since we picked him up, until a few days ago... We picked up a small bottle of Detachol, as recommended by our breeder to remove the glue from his ears (however, it still takes some work to get the glue out, and the hairs separated). It also smells a lot like goo gone, which is a lot cheaper.. can we use this instead? We paid nearly $30 including shipping for a tiny 15ml bottle of Detachol...

One more thing, I'm trying to follow the ear gluing instruction shown in the sheltie talk book... but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I'll try to post some picture when I get home from work. hopeflly i'm doing it correctly...

I must have missed this thread totally.But I wanted to offer a suggestion for the detachol.I inquired about it at my Walmart pharmacy.It was easily ordered,and in the next day.
So that could be a resource for you.Yes it is pricey.I paid 18.00 for a bottle (first one) but honestly it goes along way.

As for usage,my experiance was good with the product.I would use a cotton ball,and saturate it.Then I would work it on the ear.Let it set for a bit.

It takes a few minutes for it to work.Apply to the other ear.By the time you let it set,using the cotton ball that has the detachol on it,work the ear tip gently by rubbing it in the direction that the hair grows.

I do keep a fine tooth comb handy,and once the tips come loose,you can use the comb easily to remove the glue.

Once the ear has got the glue out,I do take some warm water,and some very mild soap,and wash the ear to get the residue out.

To me,I dod not ever find the oder offensive,nor did Jasper.And I never had an instance where I thought it was harse on his tender skin.It is oily,but certainly not in the way that I would not use it.I would never use Goo-Gone.

If you are totally agaist detachol..try regular old vegetable oil~It works in a pinch~
 
Back
Top