A Long Rant Related to Obedience Training

Lahree

Forums Enthusiast
Warning: This is a long post. I am not known for giving Reader's Digest versions of any story I tell. Thank you. :razz:

As a lot of you know, DH and I take Ellie to the dog park very often for her to play and socialize with other dogs. She behaves extremely well when she is finally in the enclosure with other dogs and is off leash. She is kind, gentle, and friendly to both dogs and people. She is extremely obedient with us and will come immediately when called. So, what the problem you might ask? The walk from the parking lot TO the enclosure!

Ellie goes bonkers when we get her out of the car and she discovers where we are. She is not allowed to walk on the path until she suffienctly "gathers" herself and calms down in the parking lot. When we start to walk, if she lunges on the leash (which she likes to do), we stop walking and we don't go forward until she quiets herself. She loves to bark and growl (!!!) at other dogs that are approaching us on the path. When we see another dog approacing or know one is coming behind us on the path we make her sit and give the command "watch me" until the other dogs go past. She is treated when she will do this. We have a 100% success rate with this. We are SO proud that we can get her to focus on us and be a perfect lady and ignore the other dogs. She is now starting to totally "get it" and is getting so much better, however it is a work in progress and we have to do it consistently to get it ingrained in her that she is not to bark, lunge or certainly GROWL at another dog!! Here's the rant (finally--thank you to everyone who made it this far!, lol!):

When we have Ellie sitting and looking at us, we are either on the very, very edge of the path or completely off the path so people have a huge area to get past us and not bother us. The path is wide enough so that I think four people could walk side by side and not touch each other They can SEE we are working with the Ellie and that she is quiet and not bothering anyone. I can't count the amount of times that people have walked by with their dogs on a super-long leash and they let their dog either sniff Ellie (who has her back turned to them and can't see them from behind) or run into her!! Some pea-brain with a husky let their dog side-swipe Ellie and knock her over while she was sitting and watching me!! HELLO!! What is UP with people! I am a passive person and so far have just said something witty like "HEY!!" Ellie never lost her composure but I sure have!

When I am focused on Ellie and making her watch me I have to be bending over (she's really small) and have her focus on me so I can't see how close the dogs are and she can't either. I leave people plenty of room to get past us, we are not blocking the path at all and most of the time we aren't even on it! There have been two people who have had their dogs off-leash and no control over them so they came up and were sniffing Ellie and one even pawed at her while she was sitting. I yelled "HEY! GET!!" at the dogs and they backed off and one owner said nothing to me when she walked by (I was glaring) and the other one mumbled "sorry" when they walked by.

So, what is UP with people??? Any ideas on what I can say or what I can do to help this situation that isn't likely to start a fist-fight with someone? I want to be able to protect Ellie and I want her to feel safe sitting and looking at me. She is VERY smart and I am afraid that she is quickly going to start associating sitting and watching us with being vunerable and unprotected from other dogs.

Thank you anyone who made it all the way through this post. :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:
 
Hi Lahree,

I decided before we even got Megan that I would not take her to dog parks for many reasons. One, I was told by our Vet to view dog parks as the equivalent if not worse then public restrooms :dead:

She gets socialization from much more controlled environments like classes (where I KNOW all the pets there are fully vaccinated), walks around our neighborhood, etc.. I have also had to make choices for my pets safety to walk or go elsewhere because other people are not going to change for me and my pets:wink2:

I see all this to say if the people around you are not going to change the way they walk their dogs or let them play, consider going to a place less hectic?!

Just MHO of course!
 
I don't know what to say, except: People are clueless.

Sometimes I wish there were parks where you had to earn entry by demonstrating that you and your dog can pass some minimum test of obedience.
 
My two go beserk when I pull up to the dog oval - I've give up trying to calm them down, although I shut them in the car for a while if Tully decides to jump over the seat and push me out.

I wouldnt put her in a sit with other strange dogs around. The worst attack on Tully occured when she was sitting to be patted and a dog ran up from behind and grabbed her by the neck. It does leave them vulnerable. I would only do the sit focus when you are completely out of the path of other dogs (like near the car or off the path), otherwise can you walk her away (head back to the car or home) if you want her to calm down - when she is calm again walk back towards the dog enclosure. walking off is a pain at first but they get the hang of it pretty quickly - I use this method with mine when they go silly about crossing the road near home.
 
First..its really good that she can sit even with other dogs running up on you!!
I'd be worried about the other dogs coming up like that when my dog was so vulnerable too!!
Second I agree with Caro..."game over"...gets there attention real quick!!
I've had to do this with Clancy..and he was alot worse then yours sounds!! He got the idea real fast...especially when Abby got to go play and he had to sit in the car for 10 minutes!!

The dog park I went to in Michigan, we paid $400 a year to go..and they screened all dogs...and had people-dog etiquette rules. I only saw one "fight" and it wasn't even much of one while I was there...and everyone involved got it under control real quick. So there are some out there...you might have to pay to get it tho....I always got our membership renewed for my birthday..LOL


Julie
Clancy & Abby
 
I would pick up a dog vest (like what service dogs use) and have a patch put on it that says "In Training" or "do not pet" or something like that. There are lots of outfits that sell them on the internet, just search dog harness patch etc.
 
...
The dog park I went to in Michigan, we paid $400 a year to go..and they screened all dogs...and had people-dog etiquette rules. I only saw one "fight" and it wasn't even much of one while I was there...and everyone involved got it under control real quick. So there are some out there...you might have to pay to get it tho....I always got our membership renewed for my birthday...

If there were one here, that would be my birthday present, too.

We've only had one bad experience at the public dog parks, but it would be worth the peace of mind. Now, that I'm not working, we're able to go in the middle of the day during the week, so it's much less madness.
 
I'm so sorry -- what an annoyance. I suppose dog parks are like playgrounds. Some are wonderful for kids, and others are filled with rude people. I'm so fortunate to have space and the Conservancy nearby.
 
I share your pain!! I am doing the exact same thing with Romeo when we are on walks and we sometimes even get off the path and stand on the grass but noooooo........... those with the flexi leads let their dogs come ALL THE WAY to Romeo or they let their dogs draaaag them to us. Seriously, SO MUCH SPACE for you to pass and we're clearly working!! I feel like making a plastic sign, like those "Beware! Wet floors!" type for this. Sheesh. It's a good thing for them Romeo isn't truly aggressive and won't bite. These owners aren't too smart are they!!

Oh oh, I also had one incident where two dog walking people just stopped. And had a chat. A nice loooong chat just a couple of feet from where Romeo and I was. And it's not like I don't make it obvious. We were walking towards them and when I spot them I put him in a sit at the side and go through the watch/feed routine, over and over. I sometimes even point at the oncoming dogs. I ended up yelling really loudly and swearing a bit coz I was getting very frustrated and Romeo was getting very agitated coz those dogs were also getting more aroused. They got annoyed and walked on.

I ranted elsewhere about a woman and her golden retriever FOLLOWING US closely behind - literally stalking us. Even when we went off the beaten path, which was how I knew. Oh and also coz she said to the dog "Zee, are we going to follow them around all day, Zee?" Drove me mad!!
 
Back
Top