A new sheltie owner...

Fergus

Forums Enthusiast
...comes over from the dark side. Yes, a dyed in the wool [pun intended] collie lover all my life but hey, who's this little dog running around my house? :lol: What have I gotten myself into?!?

My elderly mother recently moved into a condo. She resisted selling her way-too-big way-too falling down house because she didn't think her little sheltie would adapt. At just 1yr old, Clancy is a bit high energy and mom isn't a 'take the dog for a walk' kind of person. So making the ultimate sacrifice, I volunteered to adopt Clancy. Okay, so there was a bit of a hidden agenda there:
1) get mom out of that house before it fell down around her
2) gain a great little furkid! :wink2:

So a couple of weeks ago Dancy Clancy packed his suitcases and moved in, joining hubby & I and our pack of two kids, one geriatric collie and one very annoyed kitty.

Before my collies became senior citizens, we used to participate in formal obedience, agility and the occasional tracking seminar. Kids (mine) and old age (theirs) have kept me out of these activities for quite a while so it will be an education getting back in with a sheltie.

Clancy and I have been working on some basic training with the clicker. Oooh...he's one smart little dude! I just hope I can stay one step ahead of him!

I stumbled onto Sheltie Nation looking for more info on these strange little beasties...deceivingly similar in looks to my collies yet where does this boundless energy come from? :lol:

Norah in BC, Canada
Mikki - 12 1/2 yr old blue merle collie
Clancy - 1 yr sable sheltie
 
Welcome, welcome, welcome! I'm sure that you will soon find out that shelties are wonderful all-around dogs! This forum is a great place for advice and support, it's addictive and we all want pictures!!!:smile2:
 
Welcome...You will definately now be able to set those people straight when they ask " Is that a minature collie?" :lol: Enjoy the forum:biggrin2:
 
Welcome to the group! I love your intro! I think that is one of the more interesting intros I have seen in a while! I think it is great that you took your mom's little buddy in! You will be so amazed at the things your sheltie can and will do! You have come to the right place - lots of great people here with great information! I hope you love it here as much as we do!
 
Welcome, welcome, welcome! I'm sure that you will soon find out that shelties are wonderful all-around dogs! This forum is a great place for advice and support, it's addictive and we all want pictures!!!:smile2:

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Yes, welcome! We do love pictures and you will soon find out this forum is addictive. Shelties are absolutely wonderul dogs, very loyal, loving, always want to please, energetic, very very smart dogs! I am sure you will love having one. And what a lucky little guy - to find a new mom that is already getting ready to train him in obedience and agility! Shelties love those activities.
 
Thanks for the warm welcome. And please, don't get me wrong! I've always loved shelties. My folks had two others before Clancy. Their first was Darby and he will always stick in my mind as *the* perfect dog. He was the kindest, gentlest dog I have ever met and I swear that dog would have put obedience trial champions to shame with his wonderful heeling...and all without ever having an obedience lesson :lol:. When he passed - cancer took him down at age 9 - that was the first and only time I ever saw my dad cry. My dad who swore for years that no dog would set foot in his house and then went out on the sly and found a sheltie breeder as a surprise for my mom.

When I was finally in a position to have my own dog, my mom was surprised that I picked a collie and not a sheltie. But the heart wants what the heart wants :smile2: But it is fun having an almost matched pair. If Clancy was a blue merle, I'm sure I'd get the 'are they mom & baby?' question a lot :lol:

As it is, Mikki seems quite charmed with her new little cousin. Well, as long as he minds his manners and maintains 'paws off'. Clancy hasn't been neutered yet as his breeder is still showing him. Mikki is making it clear that she is not to be trifled with. Hopefully Clancy will get the message soon :lol:
 
Welcome to the forum! Pictures are a must!

And its wonderful that you were able to step in to help your Mom and gain another furkid in the process.

Soon you'll find that not only is this forum addictive, but so are Shelties! You can't stop at one!
 
Back
Top