Above freezing!

GlennR

Forums Enthusiast
Well, it seems a long time coming but during our morning walk, the temperature was above freezing. You still can't walk the sidewalks due to the ice that is all over the place but the park paths are dry and ice-free at the moment.

We took our time, enjoying the sun. I don't know about other Shelties but Willow does not like anyone coming up from behind. As soon as she spots people or dogs heading our way from behind us, she moves to the side of the path and sits, watching, until they pass by. Once she can see them without turning her head, she has no issues with walking on. If the approaches from the front are from strangers and quiet, she doesn't do anything and will just walk on. If a dog going by is an aggressive dog she sits over at the side of the path and just watches them until they pass. For friends, it's play bowing and dancing and being petted.

We checked out the dog park on our way back home from the walk but large sections had turned to ice and I deemed it unsafe. That didn't stop Willow racing around the park once before coming to me. She loves to run and does it for the joy of it.

I watched her circle the park and composed this Haiku, although I'm sure I haven't done one since high school which seems to be a time as far back as medieval times now. LOL The advantage to Haiku is that I don't have to rhyme, only count syllables.

Sable streaks across white snow,
Running just for joy,
Muscles bunch, stretch in the sun.
 
Willow is the smartest most behaved Sheltie, you’ve done a great job training her Glenn! Be careful walking, I’d suggest you get some type of cleats for your shoes. I fell last Wednesday while working and broke 2 bones in my upper arm, tore 2 ligaments and dislocated my elbow on top of all that. I go for surgery on Saturday. I’ll be off probably for the remainder of the winter but I won’t work without the cleats after this. I never thought I’d ever hurt myself like this from a slip on the ice!
 
Nice that you had a decent walk and sun to boot. Listening to you guys, I'm grateful to not have to worry about dealing with ice. The most we get is a frozen birdbath occasionally in the winter.

Meadow hates dogs or people walking behind us. She strains to turn and see them. Coming from the front is no issue. This is especially true when it is skateboarders! Willow handles herself beautifully.
 
my girls have been the ones that keep an eye out for stuff behind them. It took a lot of effort to get Callie to sit so I could walk around her for rally but she eventually accepted it.
Willow is so smart to move to the side, sit and watch what's going on....
Mine always hate having someone walk behind us. They keep looking back and slowing down I usually step off onto the grass and wait! It’s the herding instinct...they’re suspicious of strangers.
 
I fell last Wednesday while working and broke 2 bones in my upper arm, tore 2 ligaments and dislocated my elbow on top of all that. I go for surgery on Saturday.

OMG - you poor thing! I am so sorry! What will they be doing on Saturday?

Mine always hate having someone walk behind us. They keep looking back and slowing down I usually step off onto the grass and wait! It’s the herding instinct...they’re suspicious of strangers.

Brodie is suspicious of anything that moves. You notice it first in the head, it goes erect, then the tail goes up, then the prancing starts. He has gotten SO reactive since Covid. My neighbors think he is a nasty dog; he barks, growls, looks like he wants to eat everybody up. I think it's more fear, but their dogs are all happy, waggy tails, and hey let's play. My friend at Rally and Agility calls Brodie part of the un-welcoming crew at class. He reacts to every new dog, until another new dog comes in, then they are considered part of the gang and he reacts to the newest new dog. I have no clue how to break him of it!
 
OMG - you poor thing! I am so sorry! What will they be doing on Saturday?



Brodie is suspicious of anything that moves. You notice it first in the head, it goes erect, then the tail goes up, then the prancing starts. He has gotten SO reactive since Covid. My neighbors think he is a nasty dog; he barks, growls, looks like he wants to eat everybody up. I think it's more fear, but their dogs are all happy, waggy tails, and hey let's play. My friend at Rally and Agility calls Brodie part of the un-welcoming crew at class. He reacts to every new dog, until another new dog comes in, then they are considered part of the gang and he reacts to the newest new dog. I have no clue how to break him of it!
They’re going to be replacing the radial head with an artificial joint and repairing the upper ligament. Then after a couple weeks physio will start. They try to get you moving the elbow as soon as possible.
 
Back
Top