Henrie Lee
Forums Regular
Hi everyone, my sweet 2 year old pup is having some scary problems with his skin. On Monday I noticed a little bit of swelling on his muzzle. It was almost like a bug bite, but I'm not sure what would've bitten him in the middle of winter in New York. I shaved the bump to get a closer look and more easily apply antibiotic ointment to it, but that unfortunately erupted into an abscess that grew to the other side of his muzzle.
It very much looked infected, so I took him into a walk-in vet clinic. The vet looked at his nose and said it was almost probably from an autoimmune condition, and to get him to a full service vet ASAP.
When I took him to the full service vet they were still suspicious of a potential autoimmune condition, but also said he could very well have acquired the bump in a variety of other ways.
His breeder said the only sheltie she ever had an autoimmune condition with was a dog with a thyroid condition, but she was spayed and not genetically related to my pup.
Do any of you have experience with Lupus or other autoimmun conditions? I'm extremely worried about him. He's on an antibiotic now with an ointment. There seems to be a mild improvement with his nose so far...
It very much looked infected, so I took him into a walk-in vet clinic. The vet looked at his nose and said it was almost probably from an autoimmune condition, and to get him to a full service vet ASAP.
When I took him to the full service vet they were still suspicious of a potential autoimmune condition, but also said he could very well have acquired the bump in a variety of other ways.
His breeder said the only sheltie she ever had an autoimmune condition with was a dog with a thyroid condition, but she was spayed and not genetically related to my pup.
Do any of you have experience with Lupus or other autoimmun conditions? I'm extremely worried about him. He's on an antibiotic now with an ointment. There seems to be a mild improvement with his nose so far...