Aggressive Behavior

bratz921

Forums Novice
This is my first sheltie pet. I have a 1 1/2 year old male Sheltie, who is just the cutest thing and we love to death but.....why is so ridiculously aggressive around food? This happens if he is around ANY dog, even those that could chew him up and spit him out. Also, my daughter has moved back home and has a 3 year old golden, who is just a dear of a dog, but Jackson just isn't nice to her. I do not understand this behavior and he even snipped at me when I scolded him for nipping at Kayla!. PLEASE OFFER ANY ADVICE!
 
First of all, welcome! Unfortunately I don't have much advice on the aggression, but I am sure someone here will. I would make sure that you are the alpha. Do you handle his food while he is eating it? I did that with mine. That way, they know that the food comes from me, and I can take it away at anytime. I would take it away and then give it back with a treat. I would also put my hands into it while they were eating. If they snarled or anything, I would say very stirnly 'no' and take the food away. Some dogs are very protective of their food. I would feed Jackson away from the lab. Then, allow the lab to be in another room, but not right where Jackson is eating but within ear shot of Jackson, then within eyesight, but still in another room. That way, Jackson can get used to another dog being around while he is eating. Make sure you praise him a lot for his good behaviour, vocally and with treats. Once Jackson is OK with the lab being in another room, have someone bring the lab into the kitchen where Jackson is eating on a leash, but still keep the lab far enough away. Praise, praise and praise Jackson when he is being good. Slowly, start to bring the lab closer and closer. Always supervise and praise. Shelties respond very well to positive reinforcement and they want to please their human. Good luck. Oh, and we love pictures, so post some if you can. We'd love to see him!
 
Hi Bratz and welcome

Being food aggressive around other dogs is really not unusual its one of the few valuable things dogs have to themselves so of course they worry about other dogs taking it away. I agree with Ania - feed them seperately so he doesnt feel he has to protect his food. In fact I wouldnt give them food anywhere near each other until Jackson relaxes, then as Ania said - bring them back together slowly

Also, Jackson is the doggy equivalent of a teenager - so expect some ratbag behaviour. You're lucky if this is the only problem - my female peed on my pillow as a teen! Give them time to get to know each other. I had to keep my two separated at first - my male was jealous of sharing my attention, maybe Jackson is too. Now mine just adore each other.

Definately dont tell Jackson off when he is focusing on the Goldie - he will associate the dog with bad things happening and that will make it worse. If he starts growling or snapping redirect his focus to you or to a toy - just away from the other dog.

Victoria Stillwell had a similar problem on "its me or the dog" and gave the problem dogs (Chi) yummy chicken whenever the other dog (a bulldog) was around and they started associating the bulldog with good things.

Good luck
 
Thank you both for the wonderful advice. Sounds like that is my plan and will get on it tomorrow. I assumed it was all new having another dog in his territory but also wasnt' sure if this was a nature of the sheltie. I will keep you all posted about this!

:smile2:
 
Hi Bratz and welcome

Being food aggressive around other dogs is really not unusual its one of the few valuable things dogs have to themselves so of course they worry about other dogs taking it away. I agree with Ania - feed them seperately so he doesnt feel he has to protect his food. In fact I wouldnt give them food anywhere near each other until Jackson relaxes, then as Ania said - bring them back together slowly

Also, Jackson is the doggy equivalent of a teenager - so expect some ratbag behaviour. You're lucky if this is the only problem - my female peed on my pillow as a teen! Give them time to get to know each other. I had to keep my two separated at first - my male was jealous of sharing my attention, maybe Jackson is too. Now mine just adore each other.

Definately dont tell Jackson off when he is focusing on the Goldie - he will associate the dog with bad things happening and that will make it worse. If he starts growling or snapping redirect his focus to you or to a toy - just away from the other dog.

Victoria Stillwell had a similar problem on "its me or the dog" and gave the problem dogs (Chi) yummy chicken whenever the other dog (a bulldog) was around and they started associating the bulldog with good things.

Good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJyKqn_7jFQ&feature=PlayList&p=8B4E1DC3746B4560&index=0&playnext=1 this episode?
 
Yey - thats the episode.:yes: I didnt even think of looking for it on the net. The advice is about 4minutes in to video titled Jodie Marsh - It's me or the Dog (2/3)

That poor bulldog and those poor parents. I forgot it also had the stuff about urinating in the house - might be useful for wincam's question as well.

Bratz - not that I think your dog is as poorly trained as these ones. Its just Victora has a really simple way of training them.
 
I have never seen that show before. Wow, she did a good job with those chihuahuas. But I cannot believe the owner. I mean, why would she not train them in basic obedience from day one?
 
Is my profile picture of my Jackson showing up?:confused2:

Hi bratz, your picture of Jackson is showing up on your profile page and he is a really cute pup! If you want a picture to show up when you reply to threads then you would need to become a premium member. It is $25.00 a year and you can create your own photo album and post pictures directly in your replys. Hope that helps!
 
Back
Top