First off, hi everyone! I'm new to the sheltie forum because I am a proud new owner of a sheltie, Duncan. He is a bundle of a joy and quite a handful most of the time, but extremely loveable and knows how to give kisses!
He is approaching the 5 month mark, and for the past month he has become increasingly aggressive at night time. He begins nipping very hard and becoming very persistant with it. He then begins to "hump" my arm or anything he can latch on to.
The vet told me I have to wait until atleast 6 months to get him fixed, but he is only getting more and more aggressive. In fact, when he gets like this, we call it "the ugly face."
Also, sometimes during the day, if he is chewing on a pillow that he shouldn't be and you go to take it away he becomes very mean and bites at you. Duncan exhibits this behavior with plenty of other things too, but then 5 minutes later he is a perfect little angel licking your face and wanting to play.
Are all of these aggressive episodes linked to the fact that he hasn't been fixed yet? If so, will they stop once it happens? If not, does anyone have any advice of how we can get "the ugly face" to occur less often?
Thank you all so much for listening. I hope someone has some helpful advice!
-Ne & Duncan
He is approaching the 5 month mark, and for the past month he has become increasingly aggressive at night time. He begins nipping very hard and becoming very persistant with it. He then begins to "hump" my arm or anything he can latch on to.
The vet told me I have to wait until atleast 6 months to get him fixed, but he is only getting more and more aggressive. In fact, when he gets like this, we call it "the ugly face."
Also, sometimes during the day, if he is chewing on a pillow that he shouldn't be and you go to take it away he becomes very mean and bites at you. Duncan exhibits this behavior with plenty of other things too, but then 5 minutes later he is a perfect little angel licking your face and wanting to play.
Are all of these aggressive episodes linked to the fact that he hasn't been fixed yet? If so, will they stop once it happens? If not, does anyone have any advice of how we can get "the ugly face" to occur less often?
Thank you all so much for listening. I hope someone has some helpful advice!
-Ne & Duncan
I know you will get a lot better advice from all these Pros.
If you want to get him fixed now rather than later, you can always consult another local vet in your area-but if you're like me, I'm devoted to mine!
getting him neutered might curb some of the humping, but that is not always the case. Humping is a sign of dominance and he could continue this if you dont establish boundries. I would start now with pack rules. I would follow the nilf rules. As for the fixing at 6 months I actualy prefer 9-12 months, it helps them devolpe a good coat if you wait for the hormones to kick in. Of course I have never had aggression problems in any of my dogs fixed or intact. So whatever you and your vet are comfortable with
I hope this helps! 