Agility Class for my Shy Sheltie

Daisy's Mom

Forums Regular
So, Daisy just began a beginning agility class. She is 9 months. There is one 8 month-old Australian Sheepherding dog and the rest of the dogs in the class are well over a year. No other Shelties. Daisy is kind of shy, and the instructor kept mentioning that she is still just a puppy, so I am wondering if we should have waited. I think the group exposure is good for her and I am sure she will respond better as she continues in the class, but right now it seems a lot for her to take in. In the beginning she had trouble with basic commands, which she would have had no problem with at home, and it was a challenge to get her to do the small jump. By the end of class, she was more comfortable with the instructor and completing exercises. When we got home, she was exhausted, more so than after she did an obedience course.

So, my questions are - Does anyone know how much can we expect from her at this age? And, does anyone have tips for working with shy dogs on agility? I would like for her to show her bouncy side outside of home.
 
As long as she is not fearful and only shy, I think the class will be great for her. It is important to keep them socialized outside of the home so that they do not become overly shy. My vote is, you did the right thing and even though your milestones might not be as great as the older dogs in the class, you are still reaching milestones. Enjoy!
 
I agree @danisgoat, and it looks like I should wish you a Happy Birthday!

I think trying to work around other dogs will help her immensely, even if she won't be at the same level as some of the others.
 
For Théo who is very shy, Agility was the best thing for him. The first course was difficult because he was afraid of all the others participants. The instructor had to stay away from us. But now he is like a kid going to play at the park. It's never enough and he is becoming very good compare to me the handler :). I recommend the activity using a lot of threat ;)
 
@mxt161 There is an enormous German Shepherd that frightens her, although he does not seem aggressive. I think she would have responded better with me guiding her more, but the instructor is getting to know her so we'll see what happens. Glad to hear that it has worked out well for Theo.
 
In Théo group there was 2 smalls dogs and one big airedale terrier. He was more afraid of the big one. It took a good 4 sessions before becoming more relax. I was not sure if i was doing the good thing. Now he is ignoring the airedale and concentrate on learning. I always bring goods threats to pay him (small pieces of ham, cheese, chicken heart) I'm sure Daisy will like the activity just give her time and a lot of kiss :) :)
 
Back
Top