Aging to fast... need advise

To ggomah, hugs and prayers being sent out to you and Chance. My boy isn't at that level, thankfully. I hope you find some answers to help Chance, do keep us updated. God bless.:hugs
 
I discovered Mackie was totally deaf around age 10. He had been cuing off Callahan for lord knows how long. Thankfully his eyes were good, as Cal's vision deteriotated around the same time. Their symbiotic relationship was really cool to watch. Mackie laid in front of Cal (or blocked the doorway) so when Cal heard something and went on alert, he would wake Mackie up. Then Cal would follow Mackie, his seeing eye dog...
 
All to say, if your are going to test, test for everything. Bloodwork wise. And while your are it, check eyes and ears too.

Its one visit and sample that can tell a whole bunch of stories..

I used to think that Bacca's brain farts were because of his hyptoyroid. Nope....his brain farts were because of his liver disease.....toxins in his brain....finally under control to some degree with Lactulose.

Even now I call him and he barely acknowledges me. Unless he wants to. He can go from zero to 60 if I turn on the hair dryer, though.
 
Thank you. I haven't had a senior dog in over 10 years, so I don't remember what all I need to ask the vet to do. What I really need is a list. I've got thyroid, bile acid, eyes, ears, arthritis, and blood work (what's the blood work for? Yah I'm clueless :o). Is there anything else I need to have checked out?
 
I haven't chosen a vet since I left my old one (I didn't like them at all). There are two that I like but I lost the phone number to one (which happens to be the one I like best) so I called the other one today and got some price quotes. The thyroid will be $135 for the first test and $85 for all the tests after, and if he does needs meds they'll be $18-$20 a month. The bile acid test will be $78. I asked about the blood work but I didn't wright it down so I forgot how much it was, guess I'll find out later. The eye, hearing, and arthritis will be checked out in the office visit, which is $52. I was going to get his teeth cleaned also, but I think that'll have to wait. It's already up to almost $300, I'll have to save up for it. I'll try to find the number to the other vet, maybe I'll get a better price. If it's the same or even a little more I'll probably go there anyway (it was recommended to me by a friend who's a former vet tech that I trust, I also like the people there a lot). I'll keep everyone updated on how it go's. Thank everyone for all your help!:hugs
 
I just found the other vet's number and called them today. I like the prices much better there (comes to a total of $155, plus any additional fees for meds), and I'm told by friends (one of which is a former vet tech) that it's the best in town. So I've scheduled an appointment for Monday morning. I'm really nervouse. Please keep F-kap in your thoughts and prayers. :fl
 
We'er about to take him to the the vet. I'm really nervous. I spent all last night bathing, brushing, and trimming him just to keep myself busy (and to make a good first impression on my new vet). Wish us luck, we'ere leaving in 30 minuets...:fl

PS Crap, I forgot to trim his nails, better do that now.
 
Good luck! Let us know how it goes! Honey is showing aging signs a lot in the past couple of months. We'll be right with you in the vets office soon :o
 
Just got back, NEGATIVE ON EVERYTHING!!!:biggrin2: I'm so relieved, and shocked really. The vet said he was in good shape for his age. He dose have some joint issues, no surprise, but he said that the care that I'm giving him right now was very good and to continue with it. The vet was very thorough, he spent a lot of time examining each leg (feeling and flexing it), he felt all over his body, and examined EVERYTHING, eyes, ears, teeth, inside his mouth, back of his throat, hips, sides, belly, male parts (what's left of them:o), every paw, every toe, etc, etc, etc. I was very happy and very comfortable with him. He actually said that MY F-kap was SKINNY! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after hearing THAT one! Don't know what the bulges are on his sides, but he said that I needed to exercise him more. But DON'T to let him lose any more weight. I also had him tested for lyme, NEGATIVE! All the tests came back normal. I don't know how many times a had to ask if there was anything wrong until it FINALY sunk in that F-kap was OK. I was so relieved I was almost to the point of tears. That was over $200 for peace of mind, but it was worth every penny.:yes:

Thank you all so much for your help and support, love yall!:hugs
 
Back
Top