AKC: Moving to Preferred (FYI)

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Passing this along

The ability to move laterally from Regular to Preferred classes has now been finalized. Here are the basics, from Steve Herwig (AKC rep):

Effective January 1, 2013, an exhibitor may show their dog in a preferred class that is equal to or less than where their dog is currently showing in the equivalent regular classes. As such, a MACH dog may initially enter Master Preferred level STD/JWW classes, skipping the lower Excellent, Open, and Novice preferred levels.

Once we see a dog qualify in preferred on/after January 1, that will become the dog’s ‘starting point’ for preferred. As such, if a MACH dog qualifies in Novice Preferred on/after January 1, 2013, then the dog must complete the Novice, Open, and Excellent level classes before being eligible to enter Master preferred.

This is a ONE-TIME cross over allowance – based on the first qualifying preferred class entry AKC processes on/after January 1, 2013.

No legs/Qs or points cross over from regular to preferred.

Each class (i.e. Standard, JWW, FAST, T2B) have their own, separate one-time cross over allowance.

The cross over does not work “backwards” from preferred to regular.
 
They sent out a correction. Not sure if this helps make more sense or not:

Let me clarify:
-The crossover only happens when a dog moves to Preferred at a higher level than they are qualified for in Preferred.
- Once a leg is earned at the higher level the dog may no longer be entered at a lower level.
- Dogs may only be entered at the level they are currently eligible for in Regular classes OR Novice.

Example: A MACH dog may enter Novice Preferred or Master Preferred classes. If they enter Novice Preferred and earns a couple of legs they have NOT used their one time crossover. This dog may still be entered at the Master Level in Preferred at any future date. If the dog is entered at the Master Preferred Level and earns a leg they have then used their one time crossover. A MACH dog may not enter Excellent A or Open for their crossover class. They may only enter Master Preferred as their crossover OR they may choose to enter the dog in Novice Preferred.
 
OK, I need some help clarifying how things work with this rule change because I want to drop Edan down to Preferred. I'm hoping those on the board who are Trial Secretaries may be able to help me figure this out.

Currently Edan has 2 legs for ExA Std and JWW. (We don't have any Excellent legs in FAST since we just earned our OF.)

When I enter the upcoming trial in February 2013 (entries open January 2), can I just enter Edan in ExA Perferred even tough I already have to Regular ExA Q's?

Based on what I understand of the rule for the one time move to Preferred, if I Q in a Preferred run after January 1 at my current level (ExA) or lower, I'll be considered "moved" to Preferred. Is this correct? I'm willing to give up my 2 legs in ExA Std & JWW to move him to Preferred since I'd rather him run at a 12" jump height than the 16" jumps he's doing now.
 
So yes, you can enter Excellent Preferred. The legs you earned in regular don't transfer, so you still need three excellent preferred legs. You don't lose the excellent regular legs, they are just there if you decide to go back to regular.

Regular and preferred are two separate titling tracks, and showing in one doesn't lock you in. You can alternate them every weekend if you want.
 
Thanks Rachel.

I figured I'd need 3 legs in Preferred to get my AXP and AJP titles and I'm OK with that. Edan's 6 yrs old and only 14.5" inches tall. I really don't want him jumping 16". I'll happily start ExA over again to jump him at 12".
 
This is great news. Ember has 3 MXJ and 1 MX leg. But she is almost 8yr and really has a hard time with making time. 5 extra seconds would make all the difference in the world because we if a don't make it, it is by lebs than a second. Plus 8"has a lower A frame much better for she repaired leg
 
Akc

The entry form has also changed somewhat.
Championship classes now seperated, additional contact info is required in case of an emergency,Excellent classes called Masters wich will decrease the number of errors of exhibitors choosing Excellent A or B,To be measured always requires a yes or no, entry fee enclosed has been moved to a more prominent location.
 
The entry form has also changed somewhat.
Championship classes now seperated, additional contact info is required in case of an emergency,Excellent classes called Masters wich will decrease the number of errors of exhibitors choosing Excellent A or B,To be measured always requires a yes or no, entry fee enclosed has been moved to a more prominent location.

So this is what my mother has in her entry confirmation for a trial in January:
----
Your entry information is listed below. Please check it for accuracy.

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: The Excellent A & B class names will change as of January 1, 2013. The old "Excellent A" class is now known as simply "Excellent." The old "Excellent B" class is now "Master." If you indicated the incorrect class on the entry form, please let me know as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: For any shows on or after January 1, 2013 you may enter your dog in Preferred at the level it is eligible to compete at in the Regular classes. Additional information regarding this one-time crossover is available: http://images.akc.org/pdf/events/agility/2013RegPreferredChange.pdf
----

She already has about half the Master class people incorrectly entering Excellent. It's going to be a fun trial. Hopefully people READ the confirmations and make the corrections.
 
Can anyone clarify for me whether this is still the case? My situation is that Spirit got 2 Qs in Excellent JWW, regular height. I dropped her to Preferred, so she can remain in Excellent, but we forfeit her 2 Qs, correct? She now needs 3 Excellent JWW Qs (Preferred) to move into Masters?

Also, she got her Novice Standard title in Regular, then I dropped her to Preferred, and she got her Open Standard title. The Open Standard title stands, right? I didn't enter her incorrectly?

She is going to remain in Preferred forever so there is no issue of switching back from Preferred to Regular.
 
Can anyone clarify for me whether this is still the case? My situation is that Spirit got 2 Qs in Excellent JWW, regular height. I dropped her to Preferred, so she can remain in Excellent, but we forfeit her 2 Qs, correct? She now needs 3 Excellent JWW Qs (Preferred) to move into Masters?

Also, she got her Novice Standard title in Regular, then I dropped her to Preferred, and she got her Open Standard title. The Open Standard title stands, right? I didn't enter her incorrectly?

She is going to remain in Preferred forever so there is no issue of switching back from Preferred to Regular.


yes- pretty sure that you will need 3 preferred Qs to get your title in Exc Jww. yes, if she got her novice std and then you moved her to open and preferred- that is ok.
I dropped Cran to preferred nov jww where he would need 3 Qs to get his title - he dropped bars at all the trials he was in and I have moved him back to regular height where he only needs one Q for his title. The actual height isn't his issue - it's him knowing where the bar is so we've been working on that...... we'll see what happens next weekend....:fl
 
Back
Top