HopeShelties
Forums Enthusiast
I posted this to my facebook, but thought I would post it here as well for those not on my facebook.
It looks like they are starting to do some testing for alternative measuring methods. Breeze needed two official measurements, and with the normal measuring, they also measured the upper part of her leg (from elbow to wrist) and recorded that she is intact and her age. It did not affect her recorded measurement, but they are collecting the data. I was told they are looking for something easier for the dog, but I would think some dogs would not like having their legs fooled with. I can see where measurements may be more exact this way. You can't get your dog to stand differently or to duck down to change height, and you don't have the varied measurements different judges may get on the same dog due to how the dog is standing and where they measure.... For example today one vmo measured Breeze for her first measurement at 13" and the next just five minutes later at 13.5". There should be a much smaller variance in measuring from elbow to wrist.
A facebook friend posted that this is the way u-fli handles measuring dogs for flyball. It will help dogs who are short on leg but bigger bodied (think Corgis, Bassets, Valhunds). It will probably also help dogs who are currently borderline on height, but have poor fronts. A dog with a straight front is going to measure bigger than if they had a properly assembled front.
I do not know what the time frame would be of this being implemented, only that the trial secretary/vmo told me it is still in the early stages.
It looks like they are starting to do some testing for alternative measuring methods. Breeze needed two official measurements, and with the normal measuring, they also measured the upper part of her leg (from elbow to wrist) and recorded that she is intact and her age. It did not affect her recorded measurement, but they are collecting the data. I was told they are looking for something easier for the dog, but I would think some dogs would not like having their legs fooled with. I can see where measurements may be more exact this way. You can't get your dog to stand differently or to duck down to change height, and you don't have the varied measurements different judges may get on the same dog due to how the dog is standing and where they measure.... For example today one vmo measured Breeze for her first measurement at 13" and the next just five minutes later at 13.5". There should be a much smaller variance in measuring from elbow to wrist.
A facebook friend posted that this is the way u-fli handles measuring dogs for flyball. It will help dogs who are short on leg but bigger bodied (think Corgis, Bassets, Valhunds). It will probably also help dogs who are currently borderline on height, but have poor fronts. A dog with a straight front is going to measure bigger than if they had a properly assembled front.
I do not know what the time frame would be of this being implemented, only that the trial secretary/vmo told me it is still in the early stages.