Akc

sable

Forums Enthusiast
I was asking questions for my sister with AKC. The dam does not have to have DNA, unless they come from a foreign country.

The other question was the age of the dam, AKC states the dam has to be
EIGHT MONTHS OLD before you can register her as the dam of a litter. I said EIGHT MONTHS OLD? I could not believe my ears.
 
Hi Sable,

The DNA profile that AKC has on-record is only for identification purposes. It doesn't indicate any genetic predisposition to disease - it's just a "fingerprint" that allows AKC (and others) to verify paternity if there is any suspicion. DNA profiles must be on-record for frequently-used sires, imported sires, and sires whose semen is shipped (you can see where verifiable paternity is necessary in these cases). DNA is only required for a dam who is involved in a litter that is registered as having multiple sires (that could be the subject for a whole 'nother thread!).

As to the minimum age for breeding... The AKC is very laissez-faire when it comes to this sort of thing. The eight-months-old requirement is, I believe, fairly recent (past 15 years). Please remember that the AKC is NOT in the business of assuring the quality of breeders or dogs - it IS in the business of getting dogs registered, and a large part of its income comes from so-called "high volume" breeders (ie. commercial puppy mills selling to pet stores). "AKC-registered" is generally a good thing in a puppy, but it is in no way a guarantee of quality or health.

If you discover that the mother of the puppies you're looking at is younger than you think she should be for breeding, don't buy one of those puppies (and tell the breeder why you didn't).
 
When I was trying to research Smudge's history I emailed the AKC and asked them about that, and they basically said the same thing tofu pup said.

Smudge's mom wasn't even registered until AFTER she was pregnant with Smudge and the other four puppies. I thought about reporting her to the AKC, but what good will it do? :rolleyes2: She'll just register all the dogs under CKC and keep going that way. Here are the dates they were registered. Also note that Max is also Shelly's dad.

Shelly - 04/29/2009
Max - 08/09/2007
Smudge - 05/28/09
 
I have to disagree with AKC on both. Just my thought. I think everyone would agree that 8 months is too young to breed a brood bitch. A puppy having a puppy. The DNA is only on a foreign dam. The way things are with some of these breeders, how do we know a pup isn't just thrown into a litter for the heck of it without that DNA on the dam.

The DNA shows the integrity of the litter, and this pup belongs to this sire and this dam.

Tofu pup you stated it very well may I say. Jessica you are an angel for everything you have accomplished with Smudge.

Like Jessica when my sister ran into problems the breeder would not call her back. I called around for her, and I got a response he is very busy. Well he sure wasn't busy when she was buying, HE FIGURED OUT WHAT SHE WANTED.
 
Back
Top