Ally is ill

Update

Well, Miss Ally Mae, aka the Pipsqueak, or sometimes just "The Squeak" is hanging in there. Quite by accident I found out the other day that she would eat K/D kibble. In the morning scrum Monday with the 3 dogs, Brooke squeezed herself into the house while I was outside supervising potty time and inhaled Ally's canned meal I had prepared. :mad: I didn't have another can handy so I grabbed the leftover sample bag of K/D kibble that she had turned her nose up at before, not expecting much, and lo and behold, she ate it. I mean, put her nose in her bowl and ate without a fuss, something we haven't seen in MONTHS.

The last three mornings she has eaten the kibble willingly, and I added a handful of cooked pasta which she has eaten sporadically. Wow. So off to the vet's today to buy a bag of kibble. I only wish the small bag wasn't a whopping 8 lb, in case she decides "nah, I'm done with that".

I can't tell you the relief my DH and I felt - we have been putting every bite of food into her mouth for many weeks now, twice a day because she wouldn't eat ANYTHING willingly. Especially in the AM when we are trying to get ourselves out the door to work. It's stressful for all of us. Because of her pancreatitis history I am hesitant to have her solely on kidney diet because it's much higher in fat. Right now we're going to try K/D for breakfast, and continue the lowfat canned food at night. If she seems OK and no flare ups of pancreatitis, I may try and transition her solely to kidney diet food. It's just so hard to know what to do to cover all the bases.

But she had a great time in Yosemite in the snow, and has been acting normally all along. We try and enjoy the respite and not look too far in the future but it's hard. For a while there we weren't even keen on making dinner plans with friends because we didn't know from one day to the next.

I will make another post about Yosemite with photos but need to get my hubby to transfer the pics off his phone.
 
Sharon, such great news that Ally is eating something on her own! And so glad you had a wonderful trip to Yosemite...can't wait to see the pics. :smile2: Cherish every good moment as I know you are doing. :hugs

Trini
 
Happy to hear that you have found something that Ally will willingly eat! That's great. I hope it continues. I can only imagine how tiresome, stressful and time-consuming that must be. Let's hope this pattern continues and she starts to realize that food is good for her!
 
Happy to hear that you have found something that Ally will willingly eat! That's great. I hope it continues. I can only imagine how tiresome, stressful and time-consuming that must be. Let's hope this pattern continues and she starts to realize that food is good for her!

Well said!
SO glad of positive news! :yes:
 
Aw, I'm glad to hear the Pipsqueak ate something! And that she had a great time in Yosemite.

I have to admit, I am so grateful that Miko kept his appetite for the same food 99% of the time during his whole k/d ordeal. Only at one point did he not want food and all I had to do was cut out the supplement for a few days then put it back in slowly. Seriously, so grateful. I can't imagine how hard it is to get her to eat, especially when you know she needs to eat something, anything.

:hugs
 
Update 3/2

Well, Ally is a mystery known only unto herself. The kibble eating did not last so it's back to feeding canned food by the fingerful into her mouth for every meal. The only things she will eat willingly are still her baby carrots, certain dog cookies, and pieces of whole wheat bread which she gets while she's getting her SQ fluids.

On the other hand, she is completely back to her normal spunky self. If you didn't see her at meal time you'd never know she's got any health issues. I mean, she feels really GOOD. We can't figure it out. Usually a dog without appetite doesn't feel well. We have continued to try various people and dog foods without success, so we've given up. She gets a KD diet in the AM and a lowfat diet in the PM, and that's that. :rolleyes2:

I just wonder if she resents us for forcing her to eat? It must somehow taste bad to her. I guess she needs a taste bud transplant.

We have decided to just go with it. I'm not going to keep doing lab work, giving her meds that she doesn't tolerate or buying more bags of food she won't eat. As long as she feels well, is running and chasing and barking and climbing on Faith, telling off the vacuum etc. then her quality of life is good and that's what it's all about. I guess because I'm an analytical person and also a nurse, I just keep wondering WHY??!! :confused2:
 
Minus the food issues, I'm glad she's back to her old self. That's always great to hear and to see. I'm like you, I want to know why. And well, this is when I'd end up calling an animal communicator. Regardless of how much I believe in it or not, it makes me feel better so I can choose to do something or leave it alone, without second guessing my actions. I know that isn't an answer, but if it's something you're interested in, you may wanna do it. I wanted answers about Miko and Koji (regarding agility). It gave me what I needed, and honestly, that's the only person it was for. Well, if they are truly 100% real, then maybe the dogs needed to tell me things too.

So, hugs and a yay. :)
 
Sharon, some answers in life we never do get. The fact that Ally is still enjoying life is the bottom line and basically is all that really matters. Here's hoping that enjoyment lasts for a lot longer!! WTG, Ally girl!!!! :hugs

Trini
 
Back
Top