An Update on Ginny's Numerous Issues.

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
Ginny has been doing better in general. Progress seems slow but we're starting a basic obedience class next week with who I'm told is a great trainer. If all goes well I may enroll Sadie in an advanced obedience class too.

Bossiness - Always a work in progress. She doesn't harass Sadie as much but will still steal everything from her as soon as our backs are turned. I'm thinking of turning the eating of rawhide into a nightly ritual, instead of providing it all the time. It seems to work well when I give them each a treat and make them lie in designated spots to eat/chew them, there's alot less stealing. I may start doing the same thing with raw hide.

Spinning - Has pretty much disappeared. It took some work but calming her down and making her sit helped immensely. I'm thankful that it seemed to be a phase with her and didn't become an obsession.

Fear of Dogs - We're starting an obedience class next week, which I'm really looking forward to. Sadie and Ginny's breeder will also be there for a refresher for her two girls, which makes me feel doubly excited.

I've also concentrated on exposing Ginny to the morning dog group across the street from our house. The dogs there are mainly pretty friendly and calm and she's doing well with them. She also spent some time with my in-law's border collie and ****zu mix. Both are very nice dogs and it didn't take long to feel comfortable around them. The ****zu made her feel a bit uncomfortable because she had a more dominant personality, but she played very nicely with Ginny. Jazz, the border collie always impresses me with how gentle she is with small dogs. She's active like all border collies, but has an uncharacteristically calm personality.

Barking - Pretty much under control. She's good about being quiet when she's told, especially in the house. She yaps like crazy when she's playing, which is EXTREMELY annoying. I some times stop her and calm her down but have pretty much accepted that that's just the way she is. I don't see how I can correct her for playing and enjoying herself.

Playing Ball and herding Sadie - Also a work in progress but I don't think she'll ever love it the way Sadie does. She's learning that its inappropriate to herd and bite at Sadie when she's playing ball and that it will get her put on leash. I still have to leash her once or twice every time but she is definitely getting the message.

Walking badly on leash. - She's doing much better - at the moment. We'll see if it lasts. I switched back to the gentle leader for about a week, then went back to the martingale. I've been giving her much less leash and I'm keeping the martingale high on her neck for better control, which seems to be working very well this time. She's more focused on me and pulling much less. She still seems strangely bothered around high traffic areas. I've always walked her near them and she's never had a bad experience. Also something I'm working on.

Peeing and pooing on the sidewalk - still trying to tackle this one. She's very frustrating with this! She won't go when I offer her grass, then in the middle of walking squats and goes on the side walk. I guess I need to make it more clear that it's bad. I usually try dragging her to the grass before she's finished. I'm usually too focused on my embarrassment and cleaning up the mess to scold her for what she's done.

Peeing in the house. - She's still doing it and its really ticking me off. She seems to have completely stopped asking to go outside. I believe this is mainly behavioral, as she's mainly do it right beside my husband and I when she's not getting what she wants fast enough. Hopefully the trainer will have some ideas. She's otherwise very obedient and has an excellent recall.
 
Ginny has been doing better in general. Progress seems slow but we're starting a basic obedience class next week with who I'm told is a great trainer. If all goes well I may enroll Sadie in an advanced obedience class too.

Bossiness - Always a work in progress. She doesn't harass Sadie as much but will still steal everything from her as soon as our backs are turned. I'm thinking of turning the eating of rawhide into a nightly ritual, instead of providing it all the time. It seems to work well when I give them each a treat and make them lie in designated spots to eat/chew them, there's alot less stealing. I may start doing the same thing with raw hide.

Spinning - Has pretty much disappeared. It took some work but calming her down and making her sit helped immensely. I'm thankful that it seemed to be a phase with her and didn't become an obsession.

Fear of Dogs - We're starting an obedience class next week, which I'm really looking forward to. Sadie and Ginny's breeder will also be there for a refresher for her two girls, which makes me feel doubly excited.

I've also concentrated on exposing Ginny to the morning dog group across the street from our house. The dogs there are mainly pretty friendly and calm and she's doing well with them. She also spent some time with my in-law's border collie and ****zu mix. Both are very nice dogs and it didn't take long to feel comfortable around them. The ****zu made her feel a bit uncomfortable because she had a more dominant personality, but she played very nicely with Ginny. Jazz, the border collie always impresses me with how gentle she is with small dogs. She's active like all border collies, but has an uncharacteristically calm personality.

Barking - Pretty much under control. She's good about being quiet when she's told, especially in the house. She yaps like crazy when she's playing, which is EXTREMELY annoying. I some times stop her and calm her down but have pretty much accepted that that's just the way she is. I don't see how I can correct her for playing and enjoying herself.

Playing Ball and herding Sadie - Also a work in progress but I don't think she'll ever love it the way Sadie does. She's learning that its inappropriate to herd and bite at Sadie when she's playing ball and that it will get her put on leash. I still have to leash her once or twice every time but she is definitely getting the message.

Walking badly on leash. - She's doing much better - at the moment. We'll see if it lasts. I switched back to the gentle leader for about a week, then went back to the martingale. I've been giving her much less leash and I'm keeping the martingale high on her neck for better control, which seems to be working very well this time. She's more focused on me and pulling much less. She still seems strangely bothered around high traffic areas. I've always walked her near them and she's never had a bad experience. Also something I'm working on.

Peeing and pooing on the sidewalk - still trying to tackle this one. She's very frustrating with this! She won't go when I offer her grass, then in the middle of walking squats and goes on the side walk. I guess I need to make it more clear that it's bad. I usually try dragging her to the grass before she's finished. I'm usually too focused on my embarrassment and cleaning up the mess to scold her for what she's done.

Peeing in the house. - She's still doing it and its really ticking me off. She seems to have completely stopped asking to go outside. I believe this is mainly behavioral, as she's mainly do it right beside my husband and I when she's not getting what she wants fast enough. Hopefully the trainer will have some ideas. She's otherwise very obedient and has an excellent recall.

Sounds like you're making great progress!

Just curious, why don't you want her peeing and pooping on the sidewalk? I don't have grass in my yard, so Bailey is used to making on cement. Therefore, when I take her for a walk and she has to go, she'll squat and go right on the sidewalk. I always thought it was a good thing. Neighbors won't be pissed off that Bailey is peeing and killing their grass.
 
Melissa, sounds like you're really making some progress! I'm sure it's overwhelming with all the things you want to work on--I know it is for me with Lexi. I get a bit worried when I think about all of her behavioral "quirks" (nice way of putting it) that we need to work on, plus her obedience work and agility foundations. It's good that you've been able to break it down to a series of items, and it really sounds like most things are improving.

Sorry about the barking while playing, I think there are often certain things that can't be helped. I think Lexi's barking for breakfast is one of those. They just are having so much fun. Hopefully you have a backyard where she can bark and have a good time :)

The only thing where I feel like I might chime in with some ideas is the peeing on the sidewalk. I would treat the sidewalk like the house. So when you take Ginny outside, pick her up (if you have to cross the sidewalk to get to the grass) and set her down in the grass. Don't allow her access to the sidewalk until she's gone to the bathroom. Then praise, of course. And if you're taking her on a walk, walk her around for 5 minutes or so on the grass before you get started. Stop periodically in the grass.

I think there are some dogs that will always be bossy or like to be in charge. Ginny sounds like one of them. Lexi is a bit like that too. I think it's okay to some degree, but just make sure that when Sadie starts to get frustrated or just starts to give up that you give her some one on one attention.
 
We do the seperate rawhide thing too as Tully used to either pinch Deska's or tease him with hers. They had to sit on their rugs and eat them at the same time in the evening and if Tully left hers lying around too long to tease Deska it got taken away. Mind you, nowadays Tully will often sit back-to-back with Deska to have her chew and there is no fighting or nicking nowadays (well rarely).
 
Sounds like you're making great progress!

Just curious, why don't you want her peeing and pooping on the sidewalk? I don't have grass in my yard, so Bailey is used to making on cement. Therefore, when I take her for a walk and she has to go, she'll squat and go right on the sidewalk. I always thought it was a good thing. Neighbors won't be pissed off that Bailey is peeing and killing their grass.

I personally find it disgusting when I'm walking down a sidewalk that has dog poo ground into it and pee stains on it. I'd rather she went on the grass. I think where the neighbors are concerned that someone will always be complaining, either they don't like the sidewalk mess or don't like the pee spots on the grass. I chose grass, not sidewalk.

The only thing where I feel like I might chime in with some ideas is the peeing on the sidewalk. I would treat the sidewalk like the house. So when you take Ginny outside, pick her up (if you have to cross the sidewalk to get to the grass) and set her down in the grass. Don't allow her access to the sidewalk until she's gone to the bathroom. Then praise, of course. And if you're taking her on a walk, walk her around for 5 minutes or so on the grass before you get started. Stop periodically in the grass.

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm trying. Just this morning I immediately brought the two of them to a patch of grass for their morning pee/poo. Ginny spun around like she needed to go, then refused. 5 steps later she went in the middle of the sidewalk. I managed to get her to pee in the grass though. I think I just need to be more diligent in letting her know her behavior is unacceptable and give her a few more grass breaks, at least till she knows whats expected of her.
 
I personally find it disgusting when I'm walking down a sidewalk that has dog poo ground into it and pee stains on it. I'd rather she went on the grass. I think where the neighbors are concerned that someone will always be complaining, either they don't like the sidewalk mess or don't like the pee spots on the grass. I chose grass, not sidewalk.

Makes sense. I didn't think of it that way. Bailey usually doesn't make on our walks anyway. She usually goes in the yard before we walk. If she really has to go, she will. I never have a problem with poo. I pick it up right away, but I can understand pee.
 
Ginny had her First Basic Obedience Class Yesterday

I took Ginny to her first obedience class last night and I really enjoyed it. The place I went to was recommended by Sadie and Ginny's breeder, I'd never been there before.

It was quite a bit more expensive than the other places I've been but I have to say that based on the first class, it was well worth the money. I really liked the atmosphere and she really made me think about the things I could improve on at home. I was impressed that she was able to do so in a way that wasn't offending and didn't really make you feel bad. That being said, I was relieved that I was already doing a good portion of what she mentioned.

Ginny did very well around the other dogs. She was very nervous and shook for only a couple of minutes before settling down. She was a little bit stubborn about sitting when I wanted her to, but that's why I was there and she listened in the end.

Sadie and Ginny's breeder was there with her two dogs for a refresher and Ginny's brother Brodi and his parents were there too. Brodi has an absolutely gorgeous coat, considering he's under 9 months old, very thick and full. He resembled a very laid back, playful lion. It was funny to see him next to Ginny. Brodi weighs 25 lbs and is 17" tall next to Ginny, who weighs just over 11 lbs and is 13.5 inches tall. :smile2:

I'm looking forward to next week's class.

btw - Ginny was a bad girl on the weekend. The weather was nice so I let her and Sadie hang out on our front porch. While Ginny was out there she peed and pooed on the porch and must have rolled the poo around and eaten some of it. There was poo ground right into the wood that I had to clean up her mess while getting ready to have 12 people come over for dinner. :mad: She'd been out to potty not long before she did this. Its like she's testing me to see where she's allowed to go. On the plus side, no side walk accidents in a week.
 
Another Update on Ginny

Ginny is doing very well at her obedience class. She doesn't have the drive that Sadie has, but like all shelties, she wants so badly to please me and tries very hard.

Being around other dogs in this environment has helped her tremendously. At our first class she trembled at the chaotic noise of the other dogs, but it doesn't phase her at all now. She's showing no fear of dogs anymore.

She's walking better on leash, we're working on healing now so I expect her to keep making good progress.

Bossiness, something I'm going to have to ask the trainer about. She's less bossy with dh and I at least, with the exception of the odd temper tantrum when she doesn't get her way. She still loves bossing Sadie around and stealing from her.

Still having problems with her peeing in the house. Something else I plan to ask the trainer about. I still mainly think she's just willful as I had the same problem with Sadie till she was almost a year old. We've had no more accidents in the middle of the sidewalk though.

One thing the trainer said I've been thinking a lot about. Ginny is very playful, as she's still a pup (9 months old). She loves to wrestle with our hands (kind of like a cat) and make loud growly noises when she does so.

When she does this, she'll usually bite at our hand, kind of like mouthing, but not usually bite down. If I think she's getting too rough, I tell her gentle, at which time she'll stop or lick my hand and I praise her. She does this any time we're showing her affection or playing with her.

The trainer said that at no time should a dog's mouth come in contact with human skin. She said it may not bother us, but think of what it would look like if she did it to a child.

I'm not sure if this is something I want/should discourage in Ginny. I'd normally agree with the trainer, but to me to try and discourage this behavior would be like trying to discourage her from barking while playing - I don't think it could be done without ruining her personality.

Any thoughts?
 
Well for my part I just haven't been online much....too much to do between work, garden, shelties, and new arrivals. Anyway, I've found female shelties to be a bit tougher to housebreak than the males. But then again...once housetrained the girls seem to stay that way and the boys here feel like when the house changes they get to oops out a bit.

As for the "mouthing"....young dogs and pups do this a lot. Be pretty firm about stopping any kind of pressure in the mouthing.
 
Back
Top