Anti-Cuddler?

Moore_14

Forums Regular
Max is 10 months now and he never really was a cuddler, but I was hoping that he would grow in to it. He doesn't know he can jump on the couch but we put him up there frequently but he never stays next to us, he always goes to the other end and lays down or jumps off. It's disappointing that he doesn't seem to want to be cuddled up next to us on the couch.

The only times he is semi-cuddly is in the mornings when he first wakes up or when he is really tired. Is this something others have seen? or do we have a broken sheltie?
 
Riley is not much of a snuggler either. He never wanted be one the couch with us, or even be anywhere near me. Now that he's gotten a little older (just turned 2), he's starting to sleep on the couch with me (a little) or on the back of the couch. And he's snuggling in bed with us in the morning. I used to think Riley was broken as well.:rolleyes2:
 
Bailey is not a cuddlier. She never was and I doubt she ever will be. She is almost 3 years old now.

She likes to be in the same room as me and will even sleep on the bed or couch, but she doesn't lay on top of me. She'll lay on the other end of the bed or couch.

Despite not being a cuddlier, she is affectionate and is always willing to offer kisses.
 
Megan was and is the same way, affection on her terms! When she was a puppy I felt like I did something wrong to feel like a repellant to her :o, but alas, it's her!

She will be 3 this August and is more affectionate then she used to be, but definitely not on your lap :cool:. Our puppy Toby is 6 1/2 months old and hasn't quite decided if he'll be a cuddler or not :smile2:
 
I have 4 shelties living in my house and not 1 of them is what I would call a snuggler.

Diva is the closet but she needs to be tried. Last at night, she will come up to me ,groan and scratch at my leg like "hey lets go to bed" if I don't go she'll jump up and lay on my lap. Other times, she monitors me from the futon. But at night, she is plastered to my side in bed.Ember will lay at the bottom of the armchair on the foot rest. She does it every night but don't touch her or she is gone. Justice is my shadow. I move and turn around he is there but not a cuddler unless it is at night.

When I got Birch, I thought, I'm going to make him a snuggler. AH! He is too busy for that!:lol: When he is tired I can get him to lay in my lap and sleep but not for long. Now Leo, Birch's brother is a snuggler and wants nothing more than to get attention and pets. But that boy is one of the laziest shelties I have ever met!. I know all of the litter now except 1 and all but Leo are friendly but busy.

In my experience Shelties like to be near you but not on you.
 
Last edited:
Spitfire LOVES to be petted but Sca has a timer in him :lol: I can pick him up and ruffle him and he loves it but only for 30 seconds then he needs to zip around a bit. He will get up and sit next to me on the couch but usually it is more to mess with SPitfire than snuggle
 
I have one cuddler and one goofball. Chloe just loves to snuggle. She pretty much will curl into anyone's arms, even is she never met them before. I do believe Chloe is not typical with Sheltie behaviour. Dandie is much more reserved with new people, but she does have "her" people that she will lay by.....but not snuggled against. Vinca is completely independant.
 
I don't think shelties are typically snugglers. Lexi loves a good butt rub and Pyper likes to jump on the couch and get between me and the lap top. But neither one will stay and cuddle. Lexi sleeps at the foot of my bed. Pyper likes to sleep up close to me. I guess that's about as snuggly as it gets.
 
Callie will tolerate being cuddled when I pick her and put her on the couch with me. but if the hand stops petting- she's outta there.
both the pups jump on the couch and lay next to me- sometimes they take turns. as soon as one gets down, the other gets up:winkgrin:
 
i have 4 girls and each one is different. can't say any are super cuddlers.
Suzi sits/lays close to me, right next to me. but does not want alot of pets.
Kayla's form of cuddle is ''let's play and rub my belly''. Sugar wants attention whenever one of the others is getting it. and Tessa, only time she cuddles is when she is suc king up. when she does that...i know she did something.
 
Back
Top