Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I know a couple of people with dogs on anxiety medication (not shelties tho) and have had great success. Both are on fluoxetine, there's probably more that I don't know about but I imagine a lot of people are too embarrassed to admit their dogs are on meds - much like humans.
Fluoxetine is an anti-anxiety medication for dogs and in humans is also used for depression. Reconcile is the vet version. The dogs I know that are on it are so much calmer since being on it. One Schnauzer I know used to run at and bark at every person he met, he now goes up to people for pats, the change has been that immense. Another friend has a Goldie who went from aggressive to playful. In both instances they underwent a behaviour modification program in conjunction with the Reconcile to retrain their reactions.
I know some people here use Lactium - they can probably give you more info on that.
My dog has been on multiple over the counter and prescription medication including fluoxetine and reconcile. Fluoxetine actually made my dog more aggressive. Reconcile didn't help. Neither did generic Paxil. Generic Zoloft is helping a little. Also trying a mood stabilizer now, which I see no change. None of the medication even helped with her light and shadow chasing. We tried one medicine that slowed down the heart rate to calm her. That actually helped, but it made her so drugged up that I had to drag her just to walk her. It wasn't worth it and I didn't wan such a drugged up dog.
I had the most success with Lactium and L'theinine, which you can get at health food stores.
In addition to medication I hired a trainer. Training has helped a little. If you are at your wits end and have tried training and natural medication, then you can always seek a veterinary behaviorist to see if your dog will benefit from medication.
The last step we are going to try is to send some of my dog's fur out to test for toxic metals and minerals or a deficiency. If there is something going on with metals and minerals in her system then that can be preventing the medication from working.
I'm giving the mood stabilizer one more week. At this point, We've tried almost everything with my dog and nothing has really helped. So in our case, it's just the way my dog is and there really isn't anything more i can do.
Noah barks at everything and I need to calm him down. Tried some behavior change but did not work.
Thank you.
What sort of behavior changes have you tried ? How old is Toby ?Is he crated for long periods of time ? Plenty of time to blow off steam and lots of positive reinforcements ? Redirecting when barking and not letting the barking go "over the top ? And, yes, I have seen over the top !!!