Are dogs capable of jealousy?

Minniesmom15

Forums Regular
My dog has agility class once a week. He is always very excited and happy to be there, but for the most part behaves- he is quiet when crated, and quiet 90% of the time on lead watching other dogs run, although he does bark his head off while HE is running.. Crazy pup. Lol. Anyway, a few weeks ago I started running two other dogs for a couple friends of mine, and he goes NUTS when I'm working with the other dogs. Crated or not, he barks frantically the whole time. Any ideas why? I am not one to put human emotions on dogs-I do believe, of course, that they love, grieve, feel anger, sadness etc but I find it hard to believe a dog can be jealous.. I just can't come up with another explanations. Opinions wanted! Thanks :)
 
Dogs can feel jealousy, fairness and they can even count so can tell when they have gotten less! Heck they can probably tell when you are spending more time with someone else. There is certainly a lot of research showing they feel jealousy.

So some of it may be jealousy, these other dogs are getting attention from his human and they aren't family. And some of it is probably just frustration.
 
Jealousy is based on possessiveness, and that is an indispensible quality in any of the higher-order species. Therefore I'd say, yes, they do feel jealousy, although it's innate, and not capable of being rationalized as it is in humans.
 
they can even count so can tell when they have gotten less

This for sure. I tried to cut my wiggly-piggly's food by about 6 pieces and she knows. She also knows if Shay gets two treats and she gets one and she blames HIM for it.

Not sure if the point in question is jealousy or resoure guarding frustrated by distance.

Can you turn her crate or cover her crate so she can't see you when you are working with the other dogs? That might help if you just "disappear" for while though she can hear you so that may not make a difference.
 
Dogs can feel jealousy, fairness and they can even count so can tell when they have gotten less! Heck they can probably tell when you are spending more time with someone else. There is certainly a lot of research showing they feel jealousy.

So some of it may be jealousy, these other dogs are getting attention from his human and they aren't family. And some of it is probably just frustration.

agreed
not at all uncommon, especially in agility. Frustration barking times ten lol
and you may not know you're not allowed to have fun activity with OTHER dogs, lol that's a sheltie Union bylaw ;)

I would definitely agree that they feel jealousy, too
 
Jealousy is based on possessiveness, and that is an indispensible quality in any of the higher-order species. Therefore I'd say, yes, they do feel jealousy, although it's innate, and not capable of being rationalized as it is in humans.

Spot on...excellent answer.

Trini
 
I know Laddie and Bella are jealous, if I show love to one, the other horns in and takes over. They have feelings too, probably more than we do at times.
 
Jealousy- per Dictionary.com
1. jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.
2. mental uneasiness from suspicion or fear of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims.
3. vigilance in maintaining or guarding something.


Yep -this sounds like they can be jealous. That dog is getting something I enjoy, and I'm going to sound off about it!
 
Back
Top