Are heart problems an issue?

Toby

Forums Regular
We got our second Sheltie after a long illness will our first one. One of his multiple problems was an enlarged heart. We now have another Sheltie from a very reputable breeder. He is 10 months now and appears to have an enlarged heart as well. Going to get some testing done.
 
Sheltie heart problems

Hi,my #2 sheltie "Bobby"was diagnosed with an enlarged heart at the age of 8,it evently led to CHF(Congestive heart failure).I read somewhere that Shelties are prone to heart problems mostly in later life.Bobby lived to the age of 14 during which he recieved various heart medications which helped him live a reasonably active life,for 6 years after his initial diagnosis.I would check with your vet on this subject.Hope things go well for you & your sheltie.Blue Skies-Cody,Wendy & Cole
 
My first sheltie passed away from a heart attack at the young age of 8. I don't recall her having any heart problem though.
 
I'm not aware of heart problems being an issue for Shelties. I think, sometimes it just happens.

Good luck with the tests! I truly hope it turns out fine!
 
My uncle's sheltie had an enlarged heart as well. I don't know if it's a sheltie thing or not. Their dog, Rocco, died fairly young as well. But I know there are a lot of options out there.
 
I have had one sheltie with a heart problem - he was diagnosed with a heart murmer at 9yrs - but lived with it fine.

There is a report on the UK Kennel Club site that lists what shelties tend to die from (British lines of course). Kidney was fairly high up there and cancer, but not heart (about 7.7%). Here is the thread on health issues that includes the link to the kennel club report http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=2737&highlight=kennel+club
 
Thank you all. They are keeping him in all day today and running tests. He is not even a year yet. He is also sleeping more. We cannot take this again.
 
We've had a bitch with a heart murmur who lived to 15, and another that only lived until 2. It all depends.

Shelties do seem to have more heart problems, though...
 
After $1200.00 dollars of testing the good news is his heart is not enlarged and in great working order. They are thinking possibly the lungs. They want $1700.00 for those two tests.

Thanks again.
 
oh my! Those are some expensive tests.

Is he having difficulty breathing or anything? Why does your vet thing there is something wrong with his lungs?
 
Back
Top