At what age do they begin to jump (on or off furniture)

kathy32726

Forums Regular
Hi, Little Cody is about 4 1/2 months old now. He loves to get up on the sofa and/or in a chair with you, but will make no attempt to jump up or down. He waits for you to lift him or take him down. I, of course, continue to accommodate him. Was just wondering at what age will he begin to jump up and down from furniture on his own.

Thanks!

Kathy and Cody (Himark He's Got the Look)
 
McKinley was closer to 8 months before he became a pogo pup. Remember jumping too early is not good for their joints.
 
Duncan wouldn't even try to jump off the bed until about 10.5 months. It took him to about 5 months to get up and down off the couch. I would continue to accommodate him until he is comfortable. I think they tend to know their own limits. It is also nice to just let them grow at their own pace without pushing them, as to avoid a negative reaction.
 
I agree that it totally depends on the dog. Bentley came to us at 7 months, and didn't jump on the furniture until he was probably about a year old. Even now he hesitates and doesn't like to jump on our bed (it's pretty high up).

Lexi, on the other hand, was jumping on the furniture at about 4 months old (she's a nut!) and there was no stopping her.
 
Dandie is 7 months and still does not jump up on the furniture.

I can't remember when Chloe started. It just seems like she has always been a couch potato.
 
Fluffy came home at about 10 weeks. She hopped up on the living room recliner and hasn't looked back since. :rolleyes2: Smudge is 14 months, and the best treats in the world can't convince him to get on furniture.

Fluffy likes to jump up on the living room chair so she can look down on Smudge and bark at him. :lol:
 
Jasper is 7 months old,and has'nt even thought about jumping on furniture.We lift him if he wants up.

Trapp will not jump on or off our bed,as it is quite high.Although he has been jumping on sofa & patio furniture now since he was about 6 months old.In one living room,it's all hardwood floors,he will get up on sofa in there,but did not jump down until a rug was put there.
 
Fluffy came home at about 10 weeks. She hopped up on the living room recliner and hasn't looked back since. :rolleyes2: Smudge is 14 months, and the best treats in the world can't convince him to get on furniture.

Fluffy likes to jump up on the living room chair so she can look down on Smudge and bark at him. :lol:

Must be a tri thing. Diva hopped up on the futon at 9wks and then at 16wks she ran up the front of the futon onto the back and would have gone over the back I she hadn't been physically stopped. Justice jumped up and down by 4 months but I can't remember exact age. Ember, I don't remember. She was a naughy pup and I think I've blacked out most of her puppyhood in self defense.:lol::lol:
 
Emma started trying to jump on the sofa bed in the living room at around 4 months - didn't make it. The couch in the diningroom is lower and she was up on it around 6 months. The livingroom one came a couple of weeks later. My bed is high and she discovered that the footstool (ottoman) I have about a foot from it makes a good thing to jump on and then to the bed. She jumps off the bed and has done so since about 7 months (she jumped off it the day she was spayed - silly girl).
 
Back
Top