Bad weekend leads to chiro and new trainers??

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Well, if you all recall, I had a bad weekend in mid-December. Koji kept popping out of his weaves (around 5) and I was getting worried. I also noticed he prefers to turn to the left after a jump, and will even do a circle to come back right. I wasn't sure if it was training, or him not wanting to turn right, BUT...

After trying to get a hold of everyone over the holiday, DH took Koji to the chiropractor today. First, let me just say thanks to Sharon and all the others who suggested and pushed it. I never would have thought about it. I told the chiro his issues and she said she'll check him out all over, but if she doesn't notice anything "big", she'll look closer to his right side, just in case.

Anyhow, this is what she noticed and fixed. His butt was tucked, but his hips were loose and fine. I did notice his back being more arched, although I didn't think much of it. BUT, she said his shoulder and neck, especially the right side was very tight. She said it could be the reason why he's going left so much. She said his ankles also seemed a bit tight, so she worked on those too.

I'm happy I went and this lady was much more affordable than the other ones I called (who wanted $100 a session). She said he doesn't have anything major going on, but to remember that he is an athlete so be sure to stretch him out, loosen him up, and bring him back if we want. No pressure. I thought that was nice. The human chiro's I've been too are very pushy.

So, with that, we'll see how he does Mon/Tues/Wed. Why? Because on Mon and Wed I have appointments to drop in on two different trainers agility sessions. To see what is going on with Koji AND to see if I'm a good fit (or if I like them) to work with them.

If you recall, I"ve been having doubts about my current trainer. As I told Sharon, when we started our classes again, she was great. She was the old trainer, the one that actually explains, and helps us, and teaches me. yay! But, I'm still going to check out the other two. Right now, I decided to stop trialling and just train. This new trainer will most likely either be a "fixer" and I'll do private lessons, or a supplemental class (that concentrates more on AKC type courses).

I also need to set up weekend training sessions with a friend. It's more just using her equipment, but she has enough experience that she's very helpful. I'll probably work with distance with her.

I do have some trials coming up, but I'm only going to do one a month or less just so we can get some hardcore training in.

I'm also going to start using that chiro more. :) Well, maybe every few months or if I see anything going on with Koji.

So that's me in a nutshell. So if you don't see me trialling, that's why. Here goes my Christmas money, but it'll be well worth it. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and yes, Sharon, for you somewhat pushing me. I don't expect to go to Nationals, but I do want to advance with Koji and I just felt stuck. I don't feel stuck anymore. Yay!

I'll keep you posted on Mon/Wed training sessions and Koji's body. I'm excited and can't wait (even if I have to drive a LOT - the trainers are 60 miles away).
 
That's great, Cheryl!

I've had Edan looked at by Chiros and he's had adjustments done. One of our areas top doggie (and people) chiros goes to the larger local trials for any handler who wants their dog adjusted while there.

My own chiro is who I take Edan to. He's had some training with dogs and knows his limits. I trust him to tell me when Edan (or CJ when the time comes) needs to see a specialist; then I'll take him to Dr. Dan an hour north. (He's the doc that comes to the trials.)

Good luck with the new trainer! I hope it works out well for you. Sometimes change is necessary regardless of how much we like the people we are studying with.
 
That is really interesting about the chiro. And really nice that they weren't expensive or pushy. Lucky.

I would love to take Bentley to one...but I have yet to see one around here.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the new trainers.
 
I'm glad the Chiro was able to help Cheryl. I've found that seeing chiropractors has helped both myself, my DH and Sadie with various issues over the years.
 
Sounds Like a sound plan, nice to here that the Ciro didn't notice anything major with Koji, Sometimes it's a good thing to step back take a break and maybe even ease up some on the training or at least jumps for a bit. I know as a distance runner how easy it is to overtrain for an event, end up injured, and then how hard it is to step back and take it easy and that's me making my own decisions (and usually the wrong ones just ask MY sports medicine doctor). It has to be even worse for our dogs as even if the are not 100% they will keep trying to do everything they can just to please us and give us there best, and they can't really can't turn around to you and say Hey Im hurting here how about a little rest, Being the sports athletes that they are it s something that we as handlers allways need to be aware of and on the lookout for. I really never thought about streching out my dog maybe I should start, I allway's do a warm up with him maybe that's something for me to consider Thanks,
I do it for myself before a race. Heck I do it before doing an agility run.

Hope the new instructors work out for you too.
 
Last edited:
So true Robin, so true.

Okay, who had that book/video of how to stretch your dog out? I know I don't stretch and I pay for it. Difference is, I just walk it off (and take Advil). Time for me to loosen up Koji more, stretch him out, etc. Poor guy. I surely haven't been treating him like the star athlete he is.
 
Good luck with the new trainer! I hope it works out well for you. Sometimes change is necessary regardless of how much we like the people we are studying with.

What is with these "Dr. Dan's"? LOL. There's a human chiro that goes by that, that everyone loves at my work. It just made me laugh. And you're right, sometimes change is needed. I just don't want to hurt/offend anyone.

That is really interesting about the chiro. And really nice that they weren't expensive or pushy. Lucky.
I would love to take Bentley to one...but I have yet to see one around here.
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the new trainers.

Did you check that website? http://www.avcadoctors.com/
Maybe some will be in your new area. BTW, the chiro said that it's really popular on the east coast, but not so much here. Like I said, there were 4 in my area. 2 more within 40 miles. The rest were 60+ miles away (more on the plus side).


I'm glad the Chiro was able to help Cheryl. I've found that seeing chiropractors has helped both myself, my DH and Sadie with various issues over the years.

Well, I guess we'll see if it helped. He only got it done a few hours ago. I'll have to ask hubby. No offense to any chiros or anyone that goes to one, but I've been to a few. One I went to for 4 months straight (2x week) after my car accident and they didn't help at all. 2 weeks (2 sessions) with a physical therapist and I was almost pain free. He did what the chiro couldn't do. So, unfortunately, I don't really believe in them too much. I hear they work great for some people, just not for me. But I figured I'd try my dog at one. I hope it helps him. I'm willing to try at least, right? ;)
 
Tully was popping out of weaves and missing the last obstacle at trials. People kept telling me all the things I was doing wrong, but after she refused to jump at all at a flyball comp it seemed there was something wrong with Tully. The physio found Tully's back was quite out and since she worked on that (and gave me some at home exercises) we haven't had a problem. I was also taking Deska to the vet/chiro when he started limping and refusing jumps at agility and she kept saying he was putting his rear out but it turned out to be arthritis in his elbows. I guess sometimes its hard to tell where the pain is in a dog because they can't tell us.

I am always amazed how dedicated you guys are to agility training, the extra courses and seminars and travelling distances for classes.
 
Sounds like you have a great plan for the new year that will keep you on track toward achieving your goals for Koji.

When I started Phebe in agility, I started with a trainer that I consider to have more of a reacreational approach to the sport. She knew the basics, but wasn't trialing herself and wasn't interested in trialing. For her, agility was just something fun do with your dog in backyard or at the park. There's nothing wrong with that, but Phebe loved agility from the start and I enjoyed it, too, so why not see if we enjoyed competition.

Even though I really liked that trainer and the people in that class, I knew that we needed more structure, more equipment and more challenge if we were ever going to give competition a try. So, exactly a year ago, I changed training facilities and couldn't be happier. I still occasionally drop in at the park run-thrus with my original group and there's no animosity or strangeness. They even come out to watch Phebe run at the local trials.

I've also made an adjustment in our trial schedule. I pulled our entry from an Arizona trial for next weekend, so that we can concentrate on just training until the local trials start up in March. If we're ever going to get out of Novice Standard and through Open, we need to have consistent 2o2o contacts for the DW and teeter. I'm done with trying to manage them in trials.
 
I guess sometimes its hard to tell where the pain is in a dog because they can't tell us.

I am always amazed how dedicated you guys are to agility training, the extra courses and seminars and travelling distances for classes.

So true. Honestly, sometimes I think about going to an animal communicator to find out what is going on. And I'll admit, I see a very good psychic (more for fun/entertainment than anything else) and she can read animals too. I was going to ask about them, but forgot, lol. All this in hopes that they can tell me if something is wrong. I just worry about my boys, a little too much sometimes.

As for being dedicated, I think it's because I'm competitive. I want to get a MACH on Koji (even if it takes the next 5 years) and in order to do so, I've come to realize I need the training....and unfortunately, that means I have to travel far. :( Trust me, I wouldn't if I didn't have to, lol.
 
Back
Top