Barking Help!

CassA

Forums Novice
Hi,
I got a rescue sheltie/corgi mix 3 months ago and I know they are very vocal dogs but I'd like to train him not to bark when we walk passed other dogs or humans. He's 7 months old and I took him to obedience classes which he picked up the basics (sit, stay, down) very quickly. But the trainer didnt really give me any tips for the barking. I know they can be protective and I dont mind his singing and howling. He's not aggressive at all because as soon as humans come close he rolls over and likes to be petted but the barking as they approach is what Id like to work on. Any Ideas?
Thanks!
 
When you see someone approaching, get his attention and put him on a sit/stay and have him look at you. Having a treat will help with this. If the dog/person walks by w/o him reacting praise him and give him the treat. Be consistant and this will work. Good luck!
 
Hi,
I got a rescue sheltie/corgi mix 3 months ago and I know they are very vocal dogs but I'd like to train him not to bark when we walk passed other dogs or humans. He's 7 months old and I took him to obedience classes which he picked up the basics (sit, stay, down) very quickly. But the trainer didnt really give me any tips for the barking. I know they can be protective and I dont mind his singing and howling. He's not aggressive at all because as soon as humans come close he rolls over and likes to be petted but the barking as they approach is what Id like to work on. Any Ideas?
Thanks!

First teach "look at me"..then..combine that with a sit and him looking at you in front of you. I use clicker here. Say "look at me",when he has you & only you he is looking at,click & treat

He needs redirection,and your timing is key. When you see something that is going to set him off,(passing person,dog,etc),bring him in to you,having his full eye contact looking at you,put him in a sit. REWARD ONLY if you get the desired behavior.

Rolling over is a sign of subbmission. Which for me,out in public I would much prefer my dogs upright,sitting,and paying attention.

I never had this behavior with the shelties,but I did when Earnhardt was a pup. I taught him,just the same as the shelties. He however would come into us,but turn his back to rest against our legs,not quite what you would see in a really close heel,but close.His eyes were always on us.

I think you also have better control,than a dog that is laying down,rolling getting tangled possibly in a leash..etc..
 
Last edited:
We had the similar barking issue with bikes, joggers, skate boards etc. while on leash. Pretty much anything that went past us fast. Shelby would bark and want to chase. We also worked on refocusing with a sit/stay. For the most part she is good now and we no longer need to refocus or sit. She is great at ignoring the distraction. The only distractions I do not think we will ever get her to ignor are skateboards, basketballs (or kids throwing any ball). We still try and she is better but not as good as we would like. She just wants to play with them and nothing is better than the kids.

Now if she is in the yard all distractions lead to running the entire yard and barking at the fence. She even tries to chase the airplanes and flocks of geese. However she will respond and listen when you call her back into the house (which is a huge accomplishment).
 
Back
Top