Bathing your pups!

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Hi

I always wimped out and brought Timber to the groomer when it was time for a bath. But with two, I'm thinking the cost will add up.

Unfortunately, my bathing options are limited.

I have a stand-up shower in my master bedroom and a roman tub. The other bathroom has a standard tub and shower but no removable shower hose.

How do you all bath your pups at home? Would it be a really awful job to try to rinse the pups in a standard tub with no shower nozzle? And how do you dry them?
 
I use a large rubber maid tub with a low HP sump pump as a power washer :smile2: In the winter, I put the tub in the bath tub and put about 2" of water in the bottom with some shampoo. Hubby put a washer hose on the discharge port and I turn it on and it sucks the soapy water up and power washes all the dirt and dead hair out. Then I start emptying the tub by putting the hose into the big tub, and then start filling the tub with clean water. I leave the clean water running and do the empty - rinse cycle a couple of times to make sure all the soap is out. This is much simpler than what it sounds here LOL I can usually wash about 4 dogs and then when I am done with that, the first is usually ready to get blown dry :smile2: In the summer I put the tub out on two of the resin chairs and it makes it a nice height for me to work!
 
I just change the shower hose from a regular to a removable one. It's a backbreaker though I think I might try Crestlynn's idea.:lol:
 
Barb, I would just spend the $30.00 to buy a shower hose to use in your standard tub. I have one and I'm glad I do! Bathing the dogs breaks my back in the tub. I can't wait for my husband to get the utility sink hooked up in the basement - it's just big enough for the girls to stand in and I won't have to bend over!! I will have to get one of those hoses to hook to the faucet though to help rinse them off easier!
 
I used to work at an SPCA Adoption Center and so I’d bring Spencer in, take him into the Exam Room and either bathe him in the counter-level deep tub where there was no need for me to bend over or bathe him right on the floor since the floor had drains. After I left as an employee (I volunteer now), I started bringing him to Petco since in their grooming area, they have a separate area for self-service bathing with the countertop tub. They supply the shampoo, cream rinse, towels and dryer. The charge for this is $10.00. You do have to bring proof the dog is UTD with all vaccinations. (I did bring my own shampoo and conditioning rinse and towels - just because.)
 
Naked Dog Bathing

For those of you who merely suspected I was strange, here's the proof!

I first get the bathtub spigot water temp at the Sheltie-perfect temperature and run it to warm the tub bottom. Then I disrobe (I know, not the mental image y'all wanted :eek2:) and pick up the victim. I step into the tub, sit/squat down (now you know why the tub bottom has to be warm) and with a small metal bowl, start pouring water over the coat. They're used to it, so I can also stand them under the spigot to wet and to rinse.

Once finished, I squeeze the water out of the coat, pick the now clean doggie, squeeze the water out of the feet and feathers, and deposit her on the towel waiting on the rug beside the bathtub. Once she's toweled off, we sit on the rug for the blow-dry.

Once she's pretty dry, I set her free to wipe herself on the curtains while I shower off. No strained back, furkid feels secure in the tub, and we both wind up clean! :winkgrin:

My back d
 
For those of you who merely suspected I was strange, here's the proof!

I first get the bathtub spigot water temp at the Sheltie-perfect temperature and run it to warm the tub bottom. Then I disrobe (I know, not the mental image y'all wanted :eek2:) and pick up the victim. I step into the tub, sit/squat down (now you know why the tub bottom has to be warm) and with a small metal bowl, start pouring water over the coat. They're used to it, so I can also stand them under the spigot to wet and to rinse.

Once finished, I squeeze the water out of the coat, pick the now clean doggie, squeeze the water out of the feet and feathers, and deposit her on the towel waiting on the rug beside the bathtub. Once she's toweled off, we sit on the rug for the blow-dry.

Once she's pretty dry, I set her free to wipe herself on the curtains while I shower off. No strained back, furkid feels secure in the tub, and we both wind up clean! :winkgrin:

My back d

Not that strange! I only have a few differences than you! I kneel outside the tub, fill it with warm water (about 6 or 7 inches), put the dog in, and start to cup water over them with a huge plastic cup! Washing takes place, I squish the water out, towel dry them, then let them run until it's really dry!
 
Oh..I forgot that I do have one rubbermaid tub that I cut a hole in the bottom and put a stopper in so that I can drain it that way to. And if you have a floor drain in the basement, you can do the chair set up down there and do it like I do it outside. I really like the sump pump thing as it gets all the dirt and dead hair out :smile2: We are also lucky to have a couple of 'dog washes' close to us that you can do-it-yourself for a lesser fee. One is even coupled with a car wash LOL

I used to have the utility tub in the basement but hubby broke my old one and some of the bigger dogs don't fit well in the single tubs and I haven't talked him into another double yet. I will have a set up like Lightplum's someday though!!!!
 
For those of you who merely suspected I was strange, here's the proof!

I first get the bathtub spigot water temp at the Sheltie-perfect temperature and run it to warm the tub bottom. Then I disrobe (I know, not the mental image y'all wanted :eek2:) and pick up the victim. I step into the tub, sit/squat down (now you know why the tub bottom has to be warm) and with a small metal bowl, start pouring water over the coat. They're used to it, so I can also stand them under the spigot to wet and to rinse.

Once finished, I squeeze the water out of the coat, pick the now clean doggie, squeeze the water out of the feet and feathers, and deposit her on the towel waiting on the rug beside the bathtub. Once she's toweled off, we sit on the rug for the blow-dry.

Once she's pretty dry, I set her free to wipe herself on the curtains while I shower off. No strained back, furkid feels secure in the tub, and we both wind up clean! :winkgrin:

My back d

sounds like the water is at Chris-perfect temp :lol: Mostly the same for me but I have a detachable hose that I got at Petsmart- I put the pup in the tub and sit on the edge. I tend to wear clothes though- shorts and tshirt and then we sit on the floor and I use about 10 towels on her before she gets to leave the bathroom. :smile2:
 
Back
Top