BeavSheltie

My girl loves to find sticks to chew on and so many dogs I know love to eat wood. Why, are they frustrated termites?? I think they like the texture, it shreds - i.e. nice feel. Maybe some wood tastes better than other type but it seems it is their equivalent to use chewing gum-- but those splinters and the damage they can do.......
 
Brodie was a wood chewer when a puppy, and drywall too! He ate a few sections of the wall into my family room, chewed on the step up to it, chewed on baseboard corners. I stopped it with a slight dab of Vick's Vapo Rub. He remains a chewer, but confines himself to raw bones, bully sticks and the like.
 
Never tho't of Vicks- I use bitter apple which works pretty well and no smell. But I had notices that my crew licks it alittle at a time trying to get to the goodies it is covering, That said outside of kindling wood for the wood stove they have pretty much not chewed much of anything. Still ya have to watch what falls on the floor, tubes of antibiotic, hand cream. or just pieces of plastic..
 
Back
Top