Best Sheltie Compliments/Comments from strangers

Now that Ember is home and she goes almost everywhere with me, I get comments!

My Neighber knew she was a sheltie! So did a nice lady with a great dane puppy ( same age as Ember) at petsmart, and so far that is it (tons of collie remarks, though)! I've gotten...

'Oh, look at the border collie!' (and they were SO sure about it!),
'What is she mixed with? I know collie, but what else?':uhoh:
And my favorite...'Lassie, LASSIE, come save me!' :lol:

You NEVER know what you will hear next!
 
My favorite sheltie comment came from my foreign exchange student son Gergely in 2000. He would repeatedly call Indy a "she" even though he knew Indy was a male dog. We were taking Indy for a walk in the neighborhood and Gergely again called Indy a 'she' and I again reminded him that Indy was a boy. Gergely then said (here you MUST use an exasperated Hungarian accent) "Vell, I am sinking that he VALKS like a girl."

Hmm, Indy does sashay with that heavy coat of his.
 
Ooooh, I got a new one! Yesterday I was sitting an 8 yr old little girl. She came in and started petting Ember, who is just eating it up, and the little girl starts telling Ember what a LONG nose she has, the she looks at me and asks if I was sure she was a dog and NOT an ant-eater!
 
I take Smudge over to my grandmother's house for a visit sometimes, because she doesn't get out much since she has Parkinson's disease. Smudge went to sleep by her shoes, and was still asleep when the home health nurses came in. One of the ladies comes out to help often, but the other was in training. When the newer one walked in, Smudge rolled over. She gasped and said, "It's alive! I thought it was a teddy bear!" :lol:

Then when people ask what kind of dog I have, I tell them a sheltie, and they don't know what it is. They say, "But don't those get BIG?" To which I reply, "He's a shetland sheepdog, not an Old English Sheepdog. Have you ever known anything with the world shetland in the name to be large? You know, like shetland ponies?" :razz:
 
Some of these comments are hilarious. I've had people tell me Meggie looks like a fox and several who thought she was a collie puppy. I don't get insulted though. It gives me an opportunity to tell them about Shelties, and it's always fun to talk about out dogs!
 
Sheltie

I think the best one for me tho is asking if Shadow and Sting were Akitas.Yesterday , I had someone ask me what mixture Shadow was with. Some Aussie and Collie.:lol:What blows my mine alot is that moth my guys are males and they get called girls.My friend Sally has a sheltie form my breeder and Zippy is a girl and gets called a boy. Go Figure:eek2:
 
A few years ago, when I was at a Hardware store two elderly gentlemen stopped me to ask if they could pet my Rachie (she was my service dog). She was wearing her service vest. Since Rachie was not the normal type of dog you would see as a service dog I allowed it. One of the guys told me she was a strange looking border collie, and I told him because she was not a border solie, but a sheltie, He got sll agitated and told me to get a clue, he knew all about border collies and she was one. I laughed and told him she was a sheltie. He kpt arguing with his buddy telling him that was no sheltie.

Maizie is a tiny little sheltie. We call her the walking cotton ball. She is fluffy and tiny. I have had people come up to me and ask why my collie was so smalll and if she should be away from her mom at such a young age. When I tell them she is a 7 year old sheltie and sull grown...they tell me to get my money back if I got her from a breeder.
 
I was thrilled when I was out walking the pups a few weeks ago, and a young boy (had to be under 10) told me what beautiful Shetland Sheepdogs I had! Yay! There are people out there who get it!
 
Back
Top