Blaze is either the most unluckiest dog or...

Jean

Forums Enthusiast
...he's learned to work the system. Limp gone for a day or so when last night after a rainstorm he slipped on some water on our deck and took a tumble. Sure enough--limp back--at least for last night. Sigh. Who knew that Shelties were so "delicate". I sure didn't.

After rest last night (and some extra TLC) not limping today. :fl
 
Poor guy. Hope he is feeling better.

Our angel Hollie learned that "limping" or just being overly dramatic when getting "stepped" on she would get a lot of attention. So a lot of times you would just ever so gently step on a tail fur or bump a toe and she would make you think you totally squashed her. Once you "checked" her out and told her she was OK, then life went on as normal. She really had us trained.
 
Sometimes it takes a while for a strain to heal completely. Don't fret -- he'll be fine!
 
...he's learned to work the system. Limp gone for a day or so when last night after a rainstorm he slipped on some water on our deck and took a tumble. Sure enough--limp back--at least for last night. Sigh. Who knew that Shelties were so "delicate". I sure didn't.

After rest last night (and some extra TLC) not limping today. :fl

Baby him a bit for about two weeks after you think it's all clear, limps (at least with Honey, who I also have found to be a bit "delicate") have a nasty habit of coming back with the smallest misstep or hard landing from tall furniture.

Dogs in general are just good at pretending they're not injured, and sheltie energy means if they can do it, they will, even if it's hurting them a little.

I hope he continues to be well! So much worry these little guys can cause us, and so worth it.
 
So much worry these little guys can cause us, and so worth it.

So much worry is right! Brought him to the vet. She checked his paw, his leg, his knee and even along his spine. Nothing amiss. She gently stretched his muscles in the leg and watched him walk. No limp. And yet for twenty days for a few minutes after getting up, there's that mystery limp. It goes away once he's moving and the muscle warms up and he wants to jump and play fetch (I want to play fetch with him too), but it's still a mystery limp and he's so young!

As for being worth it, you are right again. In fact I credit Blaze with me finally being able to sleep last night. After a scary night of my husband not feeling well, I couldn't get back to sleep--so I curled up next to Blaze and somehow fell asleep that way. Somehow I think they just know.
 
So much worry is right! Brought him to the vet. She checked his paw, his leg, his knee and even along his spine. Nothing amiss. She gently stretched his muscles in the leg and watched him walk. No limp. And yet for twenty days for a few minutes after getting up, there's that mystery limp. It goes away once he's moving and the muscle warms up and he wants to jump and play fetch (I want to play fetch with him too), but it's still a mystery limp and he's so young!

As for being worth it, you are right again. In fact I credit Blaze with me finally being able to sleep last night. After a scary night of my husband not feeling well, I couldn't get back to sleep--so I curled up next to Blaze and somehow fell asleep that way. Somehow I think they just know.


That's exactly what I do with Honey! If something has my mind racing I bury my face in her fluffy little body, it always does the trick.

Honey was exactly the same on the limping. Just like with you, the vet couldn't find anything. One thing that helped was moving our bed to the floor, which kept her from making tall jumps. She had the limp on and off for a year and a half...it seems to have cleared up this year, thank goodness.
 
My first sheltie faked a limp to get attention. I always knew when he was faking it though because he'd change legs. He was terribly dramatic- that one.
 
Back
Top