Blaze or No Blaze

MissSuzie

Forums Enthusiast
In one of the other threads the topic of blazes came up and I'm curious what everyone thinks.

I have no idea if a blaze is something a breeder looks for or not. I'm curious what you all think.

In my opinion, I like the look of a blaze. I think it softens the face some, particularly on tri-colored or bi-blacks.

Meggie's blaze nearly breaks mid-nose, but does go all the way up. Lilly and Piper, my daughter's dogs have no blaze. I have to say, my grand-doggers are some good looking sheltie dogs, sans blaze!
 

Attachments

  • 7 months 062.jpg
    7 months 062.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Piper and Lilly 2.jpg
    Piper and Lilly 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 41
I think I prefer a blaze on all colors.

Lexi doesn't have much of one, just more white around her nose. Bentley has a thin one that does go all the way up.
 
Honestly markings really dont play into any part of my breeding program. Structure and temperment are more important than a blaze vs no blaze for breeding decisions. And I would hope noone here was breeding just because they are looking for a certain color or design.
 
Blaze or no blaze...that is the question....

Personally, i like a thin blaze on sables and bi blacks, no blaze on tris and a large blaze on blue merles... no reason behind it. Just my personal preference

And blaze or no blaze, would not effect my decision on buying a puppy. I think they are all cuties
 
Last edited:
Lightplum, I understand that structure and temperment are the primary criteria when breeding, but I did think that markings had something to do with it as well. Let me clarify, I am NO BREEDER, but I thought that, for instance, a full white collar is a disireable trait.

Oh wait, this is a different thread topic, huh??:smile2::smile2:
 
Lightplum, I understand that structure and temperment are the primary criteria when breeding, but I did think that markings had something to do with it as well. Let me clarify, I am NO BREEDER, but I thought that, for instance, a full white collar is a disireable trait.

Oh wait, this is a different thread topic, huh??:smile2::smile2:

I know I've seen some shelties for sale advertised with "full collar"--so I wonder if that's a desirable trait just because it's preferred by most? Or if it just completes that "Lassie look", or does it indicate anything genetically?
 
I think a blaze is the really classic look. I know you will hate me for saying this, but Lassie had a blaze so its a look we grew up with and loved. I think most people, esp if looking for a pet, would want a blaze.

My previous shelties were golden sables with a white blaze and I had every intention of getting another. But then I met the right pup and he didnt have a blaze. Tully has a blaze, its just under her muzzle instead of over.
 
It's more of a desired trait in what pet people are looking for. That's why you'll see it advertised with things like 'full collar' 'blaze'.
Color/markings shouldn't play a roll in choosing which dog to keep by a breeder.
Of course, all things being equal, everybody does have their preference...
 
Color and makings themselves don't (or at least, shouldn't) factor into breeding decisions (beyond merle-to-merle and sable-merle breedings)... however! Expression is a big part of breed type, and it's possible for facial markings to detract from expression. This is a very subjective matter, but it is something that can be hard to get around when evaluating individual dogs.
 
Like others had said marking don't mean anything when choosing a show or preformance dog. However if faced with two equal quality dogs, I do have prefences.:smile2:

I don't care for huge white blazes, Justice's is the biggest I prefer. If they have a blaze, I prefer a pencil blaze. I really like the plain faces especially on tri's and blues and white around the noses on the sables with no blaze. Something so cute about a little black nose in an island of white.

I really like a big white collar(can't tell by my dogs I know:wink2:). Although my friends bi blue doesn't have but a spot of white on the back of his neck and he is beautiful. In merles I like a moderately merled body with palm sized spots, I don't care for merles with tons of black.

Overall though I don't think there is a bad color in a sheltie.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top