Bloody teething.

Smudge

Forums Sage
How old does your puppy have to be before they stop bleeding when they are teething? I've asked a similar question before (I asked if it was ok), but it's really starting to freak me out. I bought Smudge a chew bone the other day. I finally gave it to him today, and I noticed that there was blood on the bone so I took it away and threw it in the trash.

Did I mention it was freaking me out? :uhoh: Sometimes he will bleed and sometimes he won't. He's a little over six months.
 
I do recall finding blood on toys when my other dogs teethed. I found a little on Bailey's rope toy a few days ago. She just started loosing her front teeth.

Are you finding a lot of blood or is it just little spots? If it's little spots then I wouldn't worry.
 
Really, it just depends. Sometimes it's quite a bit and other times it's not a lot. I've thrown a lot of toys away because he gets blood on them. I was told by the vet that Smudge bled a lot more than normal during his neutering surgery. I'm debating on whether or not I should bring this up when I go back to see the vet about his allergies.
 
Mine have all bled to some extent while teething. It also depends on how vigorously they chew on things I think. You might try giving him a frozen Kong stuffed with something like yogurt or baby food, it will help soothe his gums.

Can't hurt to mention it to the vet too if you're going....
 
Cant remember how old smudge is but I'm going to assume hes over 6 months old? If so hes not teething anymore per say where teeth are being lost. Mine all chew on bones and things here and if they aggressively chew I will notice blood on their bones/ chew toys from their gums where they are cleaning their teeth. Its not from teething but from irritating their gums.
 
I agree with lightplum. If Smudge is an aggressive chewer he will get blood on his toys, nothing to be concerned about with that. What I would worry about is the excess bleeding during neuturing, Has your vet ran any tests for von willebrands disease? I dont mean to scare you but since smudge has already been diagnosed with inherited mange, I would have him tested for vWd and thyroid since many dogs with vWd are also hypothyroid.

Here are some symptoms of the disease

Excessive bleeding is the main symptom. Bleeding generally occurs after a wound or surgery. In these cases, the blood simply does not clot in the normal time, and bleeding is extensive. Dog's with Von Willebrand's disease may also develop nosebleeds, or bleeding from the gums. Bleeding may also occur in the stomach or intestine in which case the stool may either have blood in it, or be black and tarry. Some dogs will have blood in their urine. Bleeding into the joints also occurs, which can cause symptoms similar to those of arthritis.

The diagnosis of Von Willebrand's is made through a test, which checks for the level of Von Willebrand's factor in the blood.
 
My vet told me after my agressive chewer Fox was bleeding every time he got a hard bone (a cornstarch chew bone), to instead get him a kong and fill it with peanutbutter mixed with yogart and freeze it, or beef broth and then freeze it. After I did that while Fox was teething and for about a year after...his toofers stopped bleeding
 
How old does your puppy have to be before they stop bleeding when they are teething? I've asked a similar question before (I asked if it was ok), but it's really starting to freak me out. I bought Smudge a chew bone the other day. I finally gave it to him today, and I noticed that there was blood on the bone so I took it away and threw it in the trash.

Did I mention it was freaking me out? :uhoh: Sometimes he will bleed and sometimes he won't. He's a little over six months.

I would not worry about a little blood on thier toys. It is I'm sure quite normal to find it especially so while they are teething.I did freak out once when Earnhardt was teething,and I saw blood once,but my vet said not to worry.

He is an agreesive chewer,always has been.Even trhe tightest rawhide,and I get them from Foster & Smith (they are huge) he will if I let him keep it,will devour one in a day. The only thing that I am frightful of (and only because it happened once) is if one were to play tug of war with a pup,as I had seen once where it let loose a baby tooth,before it was ready,and it came out early.And it bled more than I was expecting it to. Even this weekend I reminded my son,to not to play rough with Trapp in tug of war.
I do know one thing,his canines are like needles..ooo weee~sharp
 
Last edited:
How old does your puppy have to be before they stop bleeding when they are teething? I've asked a similar question before (I asked if it was ok), but it's really starting to freak me out. I bought Smudge a chew bone the other day. I finally gave it to him today, and I noticed that there was blood on the bone so I took it away and threw it in the trash.

Did I mention it was freaking me out? :uhoh: Sometimes he will bleed and sometimes he won't. He's a little over six months.

I can't believe I saw this thread today! Our 5-month old Buddy is bleeding while he teeths. Last night we found blood on a chew toy and his bed - we freaked out too!! I've never had a dog bleed like this. His teeth are like needles!! When he was neutered last week the vet checked his teeth and said all was normal. Yikes!!
 
Back
Top