Blue Merle with Bi Blue?

If you want to see a pregnant dog or itty bitty puppies, why dont you try finding a breeder that will mentor you and perhaps in time allow you to help whelp a litter or pups or at least watch. Or Perhaps you could foster a pregnant dog, you would not only get to witness the miracle of birth, but also be helping out a dog in need.

That's a great suggestion Jessica!!!
 
Guideline Reminder!

I think it bears restating our Breeder Guidelines for anyone who has joined us since they were first posted. These are excellent points for anyone considering breeding:


As a prerequisite, breeders should adhere to the following general standards.

* All your litters are AKC registered.

* You breed to “better the breed” and your actions back that up.

* You breed for Sheltie “type” and as close to the written Standard (that applies in your country).

* You understand the heritable diseases to which Shelties are prone, such as epilepsy, PRA, CEA, thyroid disease, hip dysplasia, and von Willebrand's disease. You have tested your dogs where possible for these conditions, and openly share the results of these tests with prospective puppy buyers.

* You vaccinate & deworm puppies per veterinary recommendations.

* You do not release puppies to their new homes sooner than 8 weeks of age.

* You provide a written health guarantee for all your puppies.

* You exhibit or show, compete in trials of any sort or are active in a breed club.

* You can provide at least one reference to people who have purchased pups from you.

* You can provide at least one veterinary reference to your buyers.

* You are open to constructive criticism and critique of your dogs and program. You recognize that opportunities for objective evaluation of your stock (eg., conformation shows, performance events) are critical to a sound and responsible breeding program.
 
Thanks Ann....I was looking for that list to post it to this thread...what is it under again? Is it tacked somewhere and im missing it???
 
Thank you to everyone who has responded. Perhaps I should have been a bit more precise, rather than letting my eagerness get the best of me. Yes, I am excited for a new sheltie and the prospect of future puppies. I'm schooling to become a vet, and start my first year of college come Monday.

This whole breeding business;however, is not going to be done by me. This is my mom's dream, and she's been gunning for it for the past eight years since our first sheltie. Since then, we constantly learn new things about the breed, the how-to's and what-not's. We were pretty sure that we couldn't mix the Bi Blue with the Blue Merle, but the Blue Merle is the only dog we have worth breeding and we wanted to ask around on the off-chance we were mistaken.

Simba, our blue merle, is the only one of show quality with blue blood on both sides of his family line. We have three other males, none of which are suitable for breeding, one white-factored (Tramp), one sable merle who has blue blood on his father's side(BamBam) and one we were just given and who's previous owner is pretty sure that he came from a puppy mill (Copper). Although, yes, they all have papers.

I have to say, this is the single most informative site I have ever come across! To whom asked, my family and I live very near Fort Smith. Do you happen to live close by? If anyone else wants anymore information about myself or my intentions, I'll gladly give it.
 
To whom asked, my family and I live very near Fort Smith. Do you happen to live close by? If anyone else wants anymore information about myself or my intentions, I'll gladly give it.

I live near Ashdown. It's really inbetween Ashdown and Foreman, AR. About an hour or so from Texarkana.

We have a meeting once a week at Springlake park in Texarkana (well, we did but it has been put on hold until September or until the weather cools down!) every Wednesday. There are several shelties. Fort Smith is a bit far though. :lol: Never actually been to Fort Smith myself.

I would like to warn you, too, about whom you buy a puppy from. There's a lot of puppy mills in Arkansas. My sheltie, Smudge, was from a puppy mill. After dealing with a LOT of hereditary issues that has cost me an arm and a leg I really must agree with the others on genetic testing. 99% of Smudge's health problems could have been avoided if his breeder had been more cautious. The puppymill I bought Smudge from is located in Arkansas, so if you are buying a puppy, PLEASE be careful of whom you are buying it from! I am begging you!


I am doing genetic testings on both of my dogs - I do not breed. I do it for my own sanity and knowledge. You can see what Smudge's problems have done to him on my website. Smudge is normal/mutant for the MDR1 gene, and he has had hereditary mange.

My website for Smudge's health issues:
http://twosheltiesandafatchick.shutterfly.com/simplysmudge

Learn about MDR1 and what it means to your sheltie:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/test.aspx
 
Last edited:
We have a meeting once a week at Springlake park in Texarkana (well, we did but it has been put on hold until September or until the weather cools down!) every Wednesday. There are several shelties. Fort Smith is a bit far though. :lol:

Oh man, I wish we had known that sooner! We were down in Hope last week to visit my Mimmie, and we popped up to Texarkana several times! What are the meetings for, if I may ask? Just for sheltie-lovers get together, educational meetings, or what?

Also, on the note of puppy mills; we personally haven't run into any, although once we met a BYB that kept his shelties in squalor. It was filthy. :no: I do have to ask though, when we first started purchasing shelties, we were often mislead on our information. We bought Tramp (the white-factor) because we were told he was 'rare' and show-quality and we were novice enough to believe it. Does this happen often?

And with that list where is the picture of your herd :biggrin2:

Oh, I thought you'd never ask! :cool:

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii255/LullusHuo/The Family Shelties/
 
Your herd is very nice - I do love Bam-Bam's face.

I hope college goes well for you. Has your mum visited any shows with Simba? It might be a good idea for her to attend (with or without Simba) and get to know the people there. If you are serious about breeding then get to the shows, get to know the breeders and find a suitable stud that way. Also you should be able to find someone to 'mentor' you through the whole process.

Plus, do some ringcraft and shows with Simba and the new pup and see how they do. Then your mum will get a better idea of what sort of quality she has and what type of quality she needs to look for in a stud.

Most breeders choose a stud based on how it will compliment their bitch, they may choose a dog with a really good ear set (for instance) when their bitch has a more average ear set to try and improve the line. Also they will check genetics and make sure the dogs are not liable to produce pups with health problems.

And of course equally vital is choosing a stud dog with a superb temperament. I don't care if the dog is the most handsome that has ever stepped in a ring, if it is incredibly nervy or snappy, it shouldn't be bred from.
 
Back
Top