Boomer has diarrhea

Boomersmom07

Forums Regular
I have not been on in a while. Things have been going good, but Boomer had a very bad night last night. He woke up at midnight barking a lot and I did not get up to check on him. He woke up barking at 4 am again and I checked on him, and he had pooped for the first time in his kennel. I have had him sind September 2011. I cleaned up the poop and took him outside, then crated him again. When I woke up this morning at 7 am, he had pooped again very bad. It was diarrhea. Should I take him in to the vet this morning to be checked to see if he is sick with something or is there something I should try for him first? Thanks for your help. He has not done this before. I have not changed any of his food so I know it is not that.

Thanks,
Gail
 
I recommend calling the vet just in case. When they're little, they can dehydrate so quickly, so make sure there's plenty of water for him. Hope Boomer feels better soon!
 
Monitor him and make sure he drinks plenty. I would not feed for today just too see if it passes. If he's drinking fine today I would try and feed a bit of boiled chicken with some cooked rice.

However if it persists I would take him to the vet tomorrow morning. It all depends on how bad it is and how he's acting. Follow your gut feeling.

Once Kyara did the same thing and was just fine after a similar night of going in her kennel and more diarrhea in the afternoon. She was back on her feet in the evening.

Another time, it was a whole different story that started the same way but after the diarrhea she also started vomiting and then had some blood in her diarrhea. We rushed her to the vet where she got plenty of medicine and was all better 48h later.

Really just monitor and see how he does. I'm sending some positive thoughts for him to be just fine. It's never fun to see our little ones get sick.
 
This sounds a lot like what we've been going through with Bentley over the weekend. (Check out the "Bentley is sick" thread)

A lot of friends told me that there is a bug going around that a lot of dogs are getting. I would recommend taking him to the vet if for nothing else than peace of mind. When we went, they gave us some medicine to help with him getting sick.

I would also recommend not feeding him for at least 1 or 2 meals. Then once you are ready to feed him again, I would go with boiled chicken and plain rice.
 
Thank you all. I have given him water this morning, and will continue to be sure he is drinking good. I have not fed him anything this morning. I will hold off on that thanks for your suggestions. I called the vet to tell them what was going on and they did suggest that I bring him in and let the Dr. check him out. Thanks for your advice and concern. I will keep you updated. I hope it is nothing serious either. Probably just a stomach bug.
 
Thank you all. I have given him water this morning, and will continue to be sure he is drinking good. I have not fed him anything this morning. I will hold off on that thanks for your suggestions. I called the vet to tell them what was going on and they did suggest that I bring him in and let the Dr. check him out. Thanks for your advice and concern. I will keep you updated. I hope it is nothing serious either. Probably just a stomach bug.

Also, they can get dehydrated really easily. You can check and see if his gums are moist or tacky. If they are tacky you can give some water with a little chicken broth in it to get him to drink more. That really helps.

Hope he is feeling better soon!
 
My vet always says that you should hold all food for 24 hours. Make sure the dog has access to plenty and lots of fresh water. Then after 24 hours if the heaving has stopped introduce small amounts of chicken and rice. If the dog does not show signs of getting better, then take them into the vet for an exam.

I hope that this helps!
 
Boomer is better and back to normal. Thanks everyone. I did take him to the vet and she put him on two medications and a can food of prescription diet dog food. This all took care of whatever was going on and he is fine now. Thank you all for your advice and concern.
:smile2:
 
Back
Top