Bordatella vaccination reaction

BryanAndLarrysMama

Forums Enthusiast
Yesterday I took Bryan and Larry for their yearly checkup and they're doing great. Bryan is 39lbs and Larry is 40lbs, great for their build and doing great.

The vet suggested the Bordatella vaccination (for kennel cough prevention), given orally in a liquid. She did it and I tell you, I have never seen my boys poop so much in my life. One of them pooped their pen last night, too. They are feeling fine, energy is sky high as ever, good appetite - but they've been cleaned right out! For Larry his droppings are normal, but for Bryan they're pretty soft. Poor little guy.

Anyway I thought I would share our experience if anyone happens to be wondering about anyone's Sheltie's reaction to the med.
 
That is why I always get the intranasal bordatella vaccine for mine. There are fewer side effects (we've never had any) and it's just as effective. My vet recommends it over the shot. You might ask your vet for that one next time.
 
A reaction is possible with any vaccine. I got this Adored Beast Liver tonic when Blueberry had a reaction (or whatever it was) to her 12 week shot.
I’d use it after any vaccinations.CB91F69E-064A-44AE-9B08-46EAABA0C3AA.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 289F06CA-777D-4A74-9496-40C1156C6B3E.jpeg
    289F06CA-777D-4A74-9496-40C1156C6B3E.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
I forgot to add that when Piper was a puppy he got horrible diarrhea from his heart worm med…would last a few hours and then be done. Happened maybe first 2 months and then done. Never happened again…
 
This is interesting - could it have been the stress of the vet visit vs. the shot? I ask because I've had Bordatella vaccines for all my dogs over 35 years and have not had any reaction at all. Hope they are better today!

They're actually quite good with the vet,so I think it's the shot. Actually it was liquid in their mouth, not a needle. They're definitely better. I think they're emptied right out! LOL
 
I know that the Danish vet´s in recent years
gives a nose vaccination, without side effects
My dogs have never had or received vac. against kennel cough.
I stay away from dog places
Well one of our boys, Bryan, has soft poops still. Poor guy. Appetite, etc., is still great, but soft poops. Next time I will insist on the nasal vaccination. I had no idea!
 
Tully reacts to vaccines and this has increased as she aged to the point that she can no longer have them. But as I discovered when she developed severe IBD, this is because of her overactive immune system, which resulted in stronger reactions and caused her IBD (the immune system not the vaccine). If one of your dogs has a poor immune response then he may have an over active immune system.

There are two types of Bortedella vaccines, an live attenuated vaccine and a killed virus vaccine. Both the nasal and oral are live vaccines and the injection is a killed vaccine. The oral/nasal provide better and faster immunity and better coverage than the killed vaccine. But the live vaccine shouldn't be used with a dog with a compromised immune system (such as Tully's which was over active). This may be Bryan's problem so he would be better with the injection rather than either the nasal or oral.

I would also keep an eye on him in the future, just in case, like Tully he develops an autoimmune disease in the future. Does he have a sensitive tummy by any chance, had pancreatitis or eats a lot of grass? Honestly, with Tully I had no idea she had IBD until a few years ago, other than she reacted poorly to some vaccines.
 
Back
Top