Breakfast and night vision

Woodbender

Forums Enthusiast
I am dumbfounded. Claire was eating in the kitchen while I was there too putting my lunch together. She gave me a sidelong glance every other bite but she is relaxing more and more. We brought her home Sunday and she wouldn't eat at all until we all went to bed and then she snuck to her bowl in the kitchen and only then would eat. Very big step for progress.

I still believe I remind her of "her past". When I have her outside and take her off the leash (full 6 foot high fenced in yard) she will hunker down in the grass almost trying to melt/flatten into the ground. It might be the hat and coat I wear when it's cold? Theresa had a thought; she is wondering if Claire has a vision problem when it's black dark out and she just can't see well and lays down like that due to such uncertainty.

We need an obedience class. Not sure we can find one for traumatized dogs but it's needed. She knows very little of human voice or reassurances. But she understands a well placed scritch and an occasional treat when she does something that we're trying to teach her. We use voice and human touch as much as we can around her. Even just passing through the room we'll deliberately stop and give her a scritch and a "good girl Claire". She has had so little human interaction/reassurance over the years that she reacts almost not at all yet 3 hours later will have another astounding breakthrough.

Patience and scritches cover a lot of ground it seems.

Here's a couple "Mama shots".
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Woodbender/media/Claire/IMG_20141216_204848358_zps66ef3216.jpg.html
Very fuzzy camera shot but these two locked eyes!

http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Woodbender/media/Claire/IMG_20141216_204946351_zps995049e9.jpg.html
Same couch just missed another eye contact shot but it's still nice.
 
Last edited:
It sounds and looks like little Claire is making good progress. Her eating has become more relaxed....and her contact with your wife is so sweet. I think your little girl is doing just fine. Congratulations. :smile2:
 
Claire looks quite comfortable there on the couch! I think she'll warm up before you know it. The most important thing is what you're doing now...love and patience. Lots of pats and reassuring calm, quiet words.

I'm not sure I'd rush into a class with her yet. It might be overwhelming while she's trying to adjust to such a life change. Others more experienced with rescue than I am might know better, but I think I'd keep working with her one-on-one until you've gained her trust and confidence. Perhaps a trainer or behaviorist who would come to your home might be better at this point, but it would have to be one experienced with Shelties and trauma. Maybe your rescue group could steer you to someone.

You are making great progress! Love the photos and updates. :yes:
 
She's a beauty. Baby steps right now. If she has not been outside much, it is a totally new environment for her. She may well have been traumatized, if I remember her story correctly, by being left outside as she was. It will take time and lots of love and kisses and hugs and scritches. If she has only been with you a few days, she has done so well. Please give her a pat from all of us here and do keep us updated.
 
Love to hear hour your prescious girl is progressing. I agree with the others - baby steps. One can only imagine what she has been through - what is all completely foreign to her. I praise you two for rescuing this sweet soul.
 
I'm not sure I'd rush into a class with her yet. It might be overwhelming while she's trying to adjust to such a life change.

Ann I completely agree and I REALLY don't want to rush into a class until we have a more solid footing of acceptance and peace with her. In other words it's not on the immediate radar. For the immediate future it's scritches and gentle words and hugs on the couch. :smile2:
 
I also would say hold off on any class or crowded public area until she has time to really show confidence and trust in you. Her progress is literally amazing...although she had an awful time in the woods and obviously has some fear of humans...she must have had significant human contact that was basically good for a period in her life. She is responding much faster than a dog who has not had any positive human experiences before. Great update! :smile2:

Trini
 
I also would say hold off on any class or crowded public area until she has time to really show confidence and trust in you. Her progress is literally amazing...although she had an awful time in the woods and obviously has some fear of humans...she must have had significant human contact that was basically good for a period in her life. She is responding much faster than a dog who has not had any positive human experiences before. Great update! :smile2:

Trini

She has had remarkable foster parents in John and Barb Parrott. Even there she was (still) very apprehensive. Another goofy thing,.. I have still not once heard her bark. Nothing. Not even a growl. Theresa says she barked one night in her sleep but it was more of a yip than a bark.
Theresa took her for a walk just down the road and back, not even 200' really. I'm a little ticklish about doing that just yet until I know she is more solid with us.
 
Another goofy thing,.. I have still not once heard her bark. Nothing. Not even a growl.

Tim, if she lives up to her sheltie heritage that silence will not last once she is totally comfortable in her new life! Along with confidence will come a sheltie voice. :yes:

Trini
 
Back
Top