Breed reccomendations for a friend

How about either an English Setter or Irish Setter. They are both great with kids, have a lovely coat, and are not too big or small.

I grew up with Irish, my kids grew up with an Irish and my mom still breeds and shows them. They are great family dogs. My boy was the best with our kids.
 
rough housing, I believe she means the kids want something they can wrestle with.

She was looking at the Irish red and white, but a breeder she talked to said they are a soft breed, and can be shy so she isn't to sure about that breed. I don't know if the irish setter is different in temperament?

Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep talking to her and see what appeals to her!
 
rough housing, I believe she means the kids want something they can wrestle with.

She was looking at the Irish red and white, but a breeder she talked to said they are a soft breed, and can be shy so she isn't to sure about that breed. I don't know if the irish setter is different in temperament?

Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep talking to her and see what appeals to her!

Never experienced shyness from our Irish. Or any of the Irish I meet for that matter :cool:
 
My uncle has had several Irish setters - they are so beautiful and so stupid!
 
Last edited:
Maybe he was just really bad at training :smile2: I recall both of them as being very affectionate goofy dogs.
 
rough housing, I believe she means the kids want something they can wrestle with.

She was looking at the Irish red and white, but a breeder she talked to said they are a soft breed, and can be shy so she isn't to sure about that breed. I don't know if the irish setter is different in temperament?

Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep talking to her and see what appeals to her!

I guess it is just me but no breed of dog should be an object to wrestle. I grew up with Labs not physically sensitive breed but in dog language rough play involves the mouth and that can lead to problems and it is always the that gets the short end of the stick in that situation if the teeth hit something they shouldn't. Do it too the wrong dog and it turns serious fast. Kids should be taught to play with dogs properly and respect them. The dogs that pounces on the kid gets turned into the pound when it flattens grandma or the neighbor friends.
 
I guess it is just me but no breed of dog should be an object to wrestle. I grew up with Labs not physically sensitive breed but in dog language rough play involves the mouth and that can lead to problems and it is always the that gets the short end of the stick in that situation if the teeth hit something they shouldn't. Do it too the wrong dog and it turns serious fast. Kids should be taught to play with dogs properly and respect them. The dogs that pounces on the kid gets turned into the pound when it flattens grandma or the neighbor friends.

Couldn't agree more. Lots of great ways to play with a dog without risking over arousal or a snap that turns into a bite.
 
Absolutely agree with Dr. Shelli. Apart from the obvious injuries that can occur to either dog or kid, I think that it is not a good thing to teach a dog that getting physical is a good thing.
 
Back
Top