breeding age

Good post HopeShelties. So many of us would love to have progeny from our dogs, I'm one, but I know nothing on this and I wouldn't dare venture into it and risk the lives of little puppies. ...
That's exactly my position, and really if I want another dog that's genetically similar to Phebe, I can always try for a pup from her dam and/or sire.

Sometimes you hear show breeders getting a bad rap for insisting on selling companion pups on limited registration. As if it's a way to keep others from getting into the lucrative (HA!) business of puppy sales. I look at it from another perspective. If every pup from their breedings were show quality, there would be even fewer companion pups for people like me.
 
Good post Hopeshelties.

My male Justice is a Candian Champion and UKC Grand Champion. He has numerous obedience(including championship) and agility titles. He is OFA excellent hips, normal elbows, normal thyroid, and normal CERF. His personality is to die for, his work ethic the best I have ever seen in a sheltie. I desire with all my heart to have a puppy from him.

But he will most likely never be bred. His front is not what I want to continue in my breeding program. I want to bred shelties who will excel in performance events and conformation. A solid front end is essential for performance. Justice is slightly easty-westy, has a short upper arm and slightly straight shoulder. Result a not so speedy dog that lacks reach and drive who is more prone to injury. His front is not really as bad as it sounds, really. If I could find a bitch with a great front that also cross faults with his other weakness, he could be bred. But we are talking needle in a haystack.:smile2:

People will say "who cares I only want a pet" but think of it this way if a dog with a certain conformation fault ie poor front, bad hips or name your problem is bred with no consideration to bitch with similar faults or problems(knowingly or not), those problems become more comman and worse in effect over time resulting in crippled dogs or dogs with major health problems. It may not happen in the first generation but what the next or the one after that if the tend continues. That is not breeding for the betterment of the breed.
 
You're right Barb, noone has said anything but I still worry. It's the way I am. i have a mentor that has taken me under his wings, he's been breeding for years and I would not do anything without his stamp of approval!

I feel exactly the same way. Beckon isn't neutered because he's a back-up sperm bank until my breeder gets more puppies from her two top Shelties. Still, I would NEVER betray Alexandra's trust by breeding Beckon.
 
Back
Top