Buffy + sheep!

Diana

Forums Enthusiast
We took Buffy to a Herding Instinct Test today and she passed! :smile2: She actually caught on very quickly to what the instructor wanted her to do, which was keep the sheep between her and the handler.

There were four Shelties in our group of maybe 20 or so dogs total. It was cool to see each dog realize there were sheep in the pen and figure out what to do with the sheep. It's like they suddenly switch on to what they are supposed to do.

It's a pretty short video because she is young and this is her first time so the idea is to keep any herding experiences short and positive. But she figured out how to go around the flock and at one point a few sheep break off and she brings them back.

(The instructor's commentary: One of the other handlers there has a Sheltie out of Buffy's breeder who didn't want to work with sheep at all when tested, so they were pleasantly surprised that Buffy did.)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_JsiV288z0
 
Wow--great job, Buffy! She was a natural! I loved when that one sheep broke away from the others, and Buffy made it get back in line right away. That's great.

Are you going to pursue herding with her?
 
Wow--great job, Buffy! She was a natural! I loved when that one sheep broke away from the others, and Buffy made it get back in line right away. That's great.

Are you going to pursue herding with her?

Thanks! :biggrin2: I thought that was cool too.

I would like to pursue herding with her, but I wish the place wasn't so far away. If it were within 30–45 minutes I would, definitely. But around here agility or dog therapy seem like better, more local options.

Wow, that was impressive. There is definitely instinct there.

She is such a pretty pup too!

Thank you all for the compliments! I wouldn't know herding instinct if it hit me in the face, but she got a positive review from the instructor.... :wink2:

I'm going to try and post the picture we got. She is going after the sheep and running flat out.
 
Buffy looked like a herding dynamo! It looks like they're having so much fun and are so proud of themselves when they turn onto the sheep.

This makes me want to get Phebe in with some sheep to see what she will do. I think there's a place about an hour away that I can take her for an instinct test.
 
Thats fantastic. She walks in like a little princess, sees the sheep and turns into a retro rocket and then prances back out so happy - how great.
 
I would love to give Sca a run but have not found out where the nearest place is yet (though he did circle me 10 times this morning)
 
Back
Top