"Bullet Butt"

Chris

Premium Member
Has anyone else noticed that as Shelties age, they tend to narrow in the behind? I've seen this in Bits and Annie Laurie. Now Layla, 11, is getting that narrowing in the hip area. What's up?
 
As my last sheltie aged, she tended to put on weight. She loved her vitals, but her exercise level slowed way down. As a result she had very well padded ribs. I wonder if what you are seeing as slimming in the rear is really just an expansion of the middle?
 
As my last sheltie aged, she tended to put on weight. She loved her vitals, but her exercise level slowed way down. As a result she had very well padded ribs. I wonder if what you are seeing as slimming in the rear is really just an expansion of the middle?
Good thought, but not in this case.
 
Yes, definitely have noticed it in Brooke - who is also 11. And she's not fat at all, can feel all her ribs with no extra flab. I think the muscles just atrophy a bit with age. Their thighs get less "meaty". When we feel Faith's thighs she's got quite the pork chops (as we refer to them), but Brooke's are the thin sliced! :ROFLMAO: What's interesting to me, is that Brooke had 3 litters over 7 years, and her waist is so little and tucked up - like she's never been a mom.
 
Yes, this became a huge problem the older Mr Chance got! Each year was more pronounced than the last. It was so sad to see. I started a thread on muscle waisting in senior shelties since I was so concerned.

Unfortunately, Mr Chance had bone spurs in his back which made it difficult for him to get up. I will try to find the post as other gave great advice for doing exercises to help.
 
Tully has this too. But when she was shaved for her hip replacement she looked completely in proportion, and even now when the physio checks her hips she says there is no muscle wastage. So I figure she's just grown more hair around her middle and it makes her butt look narrow,
 
I've noticed in my last 2 dogs (non Shelties) that they lost muscle in their back end as they aged. I've actually read that as dogs become senior they need to eat more protein, I wonder if this is why.
 
Back
Top