Cali wont potty out in the very frozen yard! What to do?!

mikebdub

Forums Enthusiast
So we got a good bit of snow yesterday here in MD and a pretty thick layer of ice on top of it along with extremely cold weather overnight to make it nice and hard. I tried to take Cali out to do her potty and she was slipping and sliding all over the place and just kept pacing around but refuses to go to the bathroom. I am going to keep trying to take her out until she goes, but I just wanted to make sure that its not going to do her any harm to hold it longer then normal. She has not been out since around 7pm last night and it is now 5:30am! She is not acting like she has to go as she is resting on the couch watching the morning news, but I know she is due. My gf took her out at around 11 and 12 last night but she would not go. Ice and snow is a new thing to her so I just don't know what to do! I tried carrying her to her usual "spot" but she just slid her way back up to the house. The ice is crazy here,.. I am slipping and sliding across the top of the frozen snow without falling through and I am a solid 180lbs! :eek2:
 
Pottying

I know my neighbors are lauging at me but I had the same problem with Sting so the spot he goes in I went out and tromped down on it and it is nice and flat and he goes.Also yesterday while I was doing this it was so icy I fell and relly hurt myself so be carefull. I fell on my behind and thought I broke my hand. I am really sore.I also threw down some of the pet salt in his potty area and it helped alot. Hope this helps.
 
#2 on ice

Dylan won't go either. I can't clean the grass area for him to go near my house because he has to walk around first to go #2. Last year, he didn't go for 2 and a half days. He normally goes twice a day. However, if he has to go, he will go. We learned that this winter. Despite ice all over the place, he finally went. I guess when business calls, it calls. So don't worry. She will go if she has to go. She is holding it becuase she is not desperate yet!
 
My Finish Spitz refused to go if the snow was too deep. We had to dig paths for her to walk on through out the yard.

Edan, however, doesn't care. He'll run out in snow nearly up to his belly. Admittedly sometimes he's more interested in licking at the snow than doing his business but he will go if he has to.
 
Kia does the same thing !!

What I do is I shovel an area large enough for her to pace and Do her buisness:rolleyes2: It's the only way she will go I had to do the same for Jewel and Tasha. I did it mainly because the snow ends up so deep up here in the Mountains. This way I can also keep track as to their habits and be certain their is no problem developing with decreased urine or darker urine etc.:uhoh::lol: It does work though. Good luck !
 
You really do want to keep that pee flowing. So the heck with digging out the car or clearing the sidewalk. Get out there and shovel a latrine for your Sheltie! :lol:
 
I just move the car out of the yard. There is no snow under there so Ruckus will go.

Lynn will go anywhere!
and then step in it.....
 
Spencer loves the snow so he has no problem doing his business. Ice makes it a bit more difficult, but he still achieves his goal. I had a Papillon before Spencer and since there were times when the snow was higher than she was, I always shoveled an area in the backyard and one in the front yard (near the garage). I got into the habit of clearing off an area even when it was a lesser amount of snow. Yes, she was a spoiled little one. And so is Spencer.:rolleyes2:
 
My Sophie did the same thing. She could not figure out where to go. Eventually she couldn't hold it any longer I guess and went. Don't be too worried, if nature really calls, Cali will go.
 
As said earlier, clear a path and a spot from as much snow as possible.

Sprinkle it with sand so she can get some traction where it's ice and you cannot clear. If you don't have sand handy, dig into some houseplants and sprinkle dirt.

When we've had bad ice storms, I have laid down Firestorm (it's a salt-like solution) but I make sure to wipe off Bacca's feet when he comes back inside. The salt can dry out their pads. But at least he can get down the steps.

Also, try a leash walk. Sometimes the walk itself with you beside her, will be enough to jiggle the bowels/bladder.

It's true, though, that you don't want her to hold it forever else she could end up with an infection.

Good luck! Winter really sucks, doesn't it?
 
Back
Top