Sumac,
When Wendell was diagnosed 3 years ago with Lar-Par, my traditionalist vet suggested surgery to tie back a flap in his throat. The cost was estimated to be $2500 and the potential side effects scared me (if he even survived the surgery!)
I took him straight to my holistic vet, who put him on Chinese herbs. Like I stated previously, his breathing quieted within about 10 days, and he still breathes well, unless he gets excited.
The herbs that Wendell has been prescribed are distributed by Evergreen Herbs International, made in Taiwan. The label says "Xiao Chai Hu Tang" then "Minor Bupleurum Combination". I pay $38.50 for a bottle, which lasts 2 months.
If any of this gets edited, feel free to PM me and I will share the information with you (not sure I am supposed to name brands on SN).
It is by prescription only, so your friend will need to find a vet who practices Eastern medicine.
Here are a couple of websites that list practicing vets in different parts of the country:
www.ivas.org
www.ahvma.org
I will also add that Wendell HATED the herbs at first. It comes in a powder form, and he wouldn't touch his food when I sprinkled it on.
I ended up mixing a bit of herbs with water, sucking it up into a syringe, and then releasing it into Wendell's mouth. After a couple of weeks, he got used to the taste and now eats his food with the herbs mixed in.
An unexpected, and welcome, result of Wendell's herbs, is that his incontinence stopped within a couple of weeks also. He is still a "marker", but no more involuntary dribbling.
I swear that Wendell is still alive today, and doing remarkably well, because of the herbs.
I hope your friend can find a vet to help her fur baby.