CHOCOLATIERS

woof

Forums Enthusiast
Well this has been a week for our1 yr 1 month old pups. Actually the last several days have been out of sight. First it was 4 new years eve poppers removed from a box on a chair and destroyed and consumed?? who knows, that was followed by removal from a shelf of two carved wooden boxes from Japan that were demolished (after 8 month of ignoring them) then last night. We came home from a friends house and we had a chocolate Santa who had a small bag of chocolate peanut butter candies it was up on a table/shelf over 4 ft off the floor but somehow one of them got it off- or maybe the cat knocked it off (the initial crime has not been determined) but they ate the entire thing-they did not get the Hersey bar but had started on that and luckily that is when I discovered what the did. We spent some frantic time trying to find out toxic levels of chocolate and how much was in the missing items- we didn't know if one or both had eaten the chocolate. We concluded that it was less than 3 oz and according to the charts we found it required no treatment-- so there was not trip to the ER vet and $2K for stomach pumps but it was up all night, sleep a few, get up check on the dogs, sleep a few etc. The dogs were isolated in the back room with access to lots of water and a doggy door to a fenced in back yard. This morning they seemed OK and have seemed normal all day- we even went for a walk tho they were a bit draggy by the end. I know it takes up to 36 hrs to get theobromine out of their system and that the cardiac effects should have occurred by now but still...exhausting and frustrating. This evening the female stood on her hind legs and tried to look at the top of the cabinet where the Santa was.. Not sure what has gotten into them of late but wow hope this phases passes quickly- when we leave for a short time they will be crated and longer they will be isolated in the back room... am wondering if eating muzzles would be an answer??? Oh yeah the female is trying to dig up phone lines buried in the back yard for some reason- probably cause she saw one exposed and was curious??. As a pup she chewed into a cord for a fan and got buzzed so we removed all chords from temptation.. never had a dog sheltie or otherwise as relentless as these guys..
 
Wow, well if you were in doubt, I think they have proved they are not to be trusted. I think you definitely need to crate them when you leave the house and don't let them out of your sight while you are home with them. The problem is, the more success they have, (and they've had a LOT) the harder it is to get them to leave stuff alone. Each time they succeed it is self-rewarding.

Our angel Ally once snuck a chocolate bar off a table while we were home, she licked a quarter size hole into the chocolate bar. Called my vet in a panic but was told that amount was not going to be harmful. Scared the crap out of me, though.
 
I can imagine how scary that must’ve been for you! I kept Piper crated/penned until he was 2, Finnie as well and I certainly wouldn’t trust Blueberry to have free reign anywhere when I’m not home! She’s my most destructive of all the dogs although Finnie is the one who’s the most likely to eat things he shouldn’t (he ate a piece of sheepskin, I wouldn’t have known except my mom saw it happen) and I’ve used peroxide to get him to vomit a couple times (and no, it’s not immediate but I do find lots of movement of the dog can speed it up). My last girl Daisy (a Cocker) also once ate a bunch of chocolate as well and my sister’s dog ate a bunch of turtles. The vet said baking chocolate is THE worst so make sure you put that where the cat can’t knock it down.
 
I'm very glad you apprehended the miscreants in time and they seem OK! For what it's worth, milk chocolate is not as dangerous as dark chocolate although neither is good, of course. It does sound like you dodged a bullet as far as the vet bill goes.

Years ago when we were new to Shelties, I came home with the kids to find our Bandit (aptly named) had gotten into an Easter basket with all manner of chocolate in it. Shredded paper etc. was strewn all over the room. I called the vet and was told to dose him with hydrogen peroxide, one teaspoon for every 5 pounds the dog weighs to induce vomiting. That's what we did and thankfully, he was fine. They recommended giving him a slice of plain white bread after his stomach settled. If you have any doubt, you can always call the Poison Control Hotline and they'll coach you on what to do or whether the vet is needed.

That said, I agree that crates are definitely the way to go when you leave the house. Better safe than sorry!!
 
Our oldest doxie ate a bag of peanut M & M's one night when we had an adult friend babysit. Not sure what she felt was worse, the dog barfing up the choclate or the kids.... she never babysat again.

I have had to dose Deacon with HP a few times. He eats socks, underwear, hair ties, gloves, straps from my good bra. Brodie used to eat baseboard and drywall but stopped when he got older. I do provide bully sticks, in BowWow Labs Bully Buddies only. I also buy smoked bones. I give on the deck outside initially and then let them bring them inside. Maybe yours need something of their own to chew on. Bored minds cause trouble. Have you ever played nosework games wiht them? Good, smelly treats hid with one or two hid under boxes, buckets, but lots of empty buckets, boxes that don't have treats that they need to explore.

I am a firm believer in crating. Each of mine has their own 36" crate. They are covered with a flap that is up during the day but down to cover the front door at night. Once in a while, if hubby travels, I let them sleep with me, but they do sleep better in their own 'bedrooms'. Crates also allow us to bring them with us anywhere as we can bring their beds along (I have smaller ones for travel).
 
I agree with Sandy regarding bored minds…I buy cows ears for Blueberry, these are dehydrated absolutely no chemicals used so 100% natural and she loves them. One ear will usually last her a couple days (if Piper doesn’t steal it…I’ve give him his own but he only wants what she’s got haha) and I do notice when she’s got an ear to chew she’s less likely to find something to chew on.
 
I agree with Sandy regarding bored minds…I buy cows ears for Blueberry, these are dehydrated absolutely no chemicals used so 100% natural and she loves them. One ear will usually last her a couple days (if Piper doesn’t steal it…I’ve give him his own but he only wants what she’s got haha) and I do notice when she’s got an ear to chew she’s less likely to find something to chew on.

It's funny any time we've had 2 dogs even if we give them exactly the same thing there is always "the one" that both dogs want. There is no convincing them that the other one is just as good.
 
Isn't it insane? Asher snatched a big hunk of dark chocolate from DH Saturday. Bring out the hydrogen peroxide!!! Several dilute syringes later, he upchucked the whole batch -- whew!!! I recommend every dog owner have a bottle of peroxide and a medicine syringe for those unexpected moments. It'll save you a bundle. Oh, and Asher ate one of DH's ear plugs. It was silicone, so we just let it pass. Yup, there it was the next morning. I washed and sanitized it -- good as new!!
 
I buy cows ears for Blueberry, these are dehydrated absolutely no chemicals used so 100% natural and she loves them. One ear will usually last her a couple days
Days?!? I get the Jack and Pup cow ears (these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073G8NG9B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1)
And they are gone in under an hour!
I started cutting them in half (use wire cutters to get thru the cartiledge on the end) cuz they get one every other night...it gets expensive fast!
 
Back
Top