Claire Bear has informed me that,.

Woodbender

Forums Enthusiast
I have been horribly remiss in posting updates to the very group that helped me bring her home. She told me in no uncertain terms that I deserve to be resoundingly pummeled about the head and shoulders with a swimming pool foam noodle. Claire is doing fine and since our last update here (good heavens - when was that?) she's allowing people to actually encroach on her personal safe space to give her scritches, she keeps tabs on me now in the bathroom (my personal favorite) and a couple months ago actually followed me to the door to say goodbye when I went to work. She has made wonderful gains but I feel in some areas we may never "get there". But starting as a quaking shaking puddle of fur when we got her home, I'll take every single cuddle I can get. She may never be a lap dog. She has taken to playing in the yard with us. The silly thing is a "morning person" and wants to bark and play at 4:30 in the morning when I take her out before getting ready for work. I'm like "shh,. shhh!" but also ecstatic that she WANTS to play with me.
This video is Claire Bear and childbride having a romp in the back yard. When Claire first came home this huge back yard terrified her at night. She couldn't see boundaries I guess. (her breeder dumped her in the woods with her puppies) So we put up a snow fence so her eyes would see a boundary at night and it calmed her down. The fence was eventually taken down and now she is playing. We found that Claire is much older than her adoption paperwork stated. Her new vet guesses from her eye "film" that she's about 9. But we feel from having had other shelties that she's a solid 10+. She gets winded very easily on walks and these spurts of playing in the back yard have her really panting. We exercise her as we can and don't push it.
 
Thank you, thank you Tim for your wonderful update.

It's so great to hear such good news - and watch Claire play "Sheltie play" with your wife makes me so happy.

Clair's long loving journey along with Theresa and you've been so great to follow.

Many could really learn - from your posts - how far we can come with oceans of patience and especially
a lot of love :yes:
 
She looks great, and so beautiful! About the never being a lap dog thing- some shelties just aren't lap dogs even if they had the best start at life. They don't want to be on you, but prefer to be near you. Like they are watching over their flock. I love that she has learned to trust you guys. I can tell she's very happy.
 
Just LOVE those puppy bows, Claire!
"A happy dog plops down with his front legs extended, his shoulders and chest low to the ground, and his rear end pushed up in the air, in what looks like a bow. This is the universal “let’s play” sign for dogs of all sizes, ages, breeds and social rankings."

You guys have the patience of a saint! Look what has been accomplished with love, kindness, and understanding! You make this world a better place! Claire can attest to that!
 
Oh this makes me so happy! This is such an improvement. You both have done wonderful work with her and she continues to grow and gain trust in you. She looks so happy. I just love seeing her tail wag and the play stance. Such a difference. Just amazing. :)
 
I just watched the video, and it brought tears to my eyes. What a difference you made to her! She looks great, and by the way her coat is BREATHTAKING!!!!!!! She is just gorgeous!!!!!!!!
 
Back
Top