Elei
Forums Enthusiast
So Kip is 18 weeks old, and a few days ago I noticed an occasional clicking sound as he walks. It is not loud or repetitive. Just a single quiet click now and then. I notice it particularly when he gets up from a nap, but I hear it other times to. Definitely coming from his rear end (hips? Knees?).
I called my vet yesterday (I was freaking out!!), and explained what was going on. They told me that as long as he isn't limping or showing signs of discomfort, that it didn't warrant a vet visit. They said that it was probably just because he is growing and that I shouldn't worry, but they could check it out at his next exam (which is about 6 months away, now that he is done with puppy shots). I didn't get to talk to the actual vet - just the staff who answers calls.
After making the call I felt about 10% better. Then I started worrying again. Other than the occasional clicking noise he seems fine. He is running and playing completely normally. Just as hyper and cheerful as always. But I just can't stop worrying that something might be really wrong - like a tendon/ligament tear or luxating patellas. I know I might be worrying too much about this, but its really stressing me out!! My GSD mix, Jessie, tore both her ACLs (Both have been repaired by surgery - poor girl), so I'm always really paranoid that Kip is going to get hurt too.
So I'm thinking that maybe I'll wait a week or so, and keep a close eye on Kip for any discomfort. If I still hear the noise, I'll make an appointment. The vet might think I'm being silly, but at least I'll know what's going on!!
Any thoughts, or experience with 'clicking puppies'?
I called my vet yesterday (I was freaking out!!), and explained what was going on. They told me that as long as he isn't limping or showing signs of discomfort, that it didn't warrant a vet visit. They said that it was probably just because he is growing and that I shouldn't worry, but they could check it out at his next exam (which is about 6 months away, now that he is done with puppy shots). I didn't get to talk to the actual vet - just the staff who answers calls.
After making the call I felt about 10% better. Then I started worrying again. Other than the occasional clicking noise he seems fine. He is running and playing completely normally. Just as hyper and cheerful as always. But I just can't stop worrying that something might be really wrong - like a tendon/ligament tear or luxating patellas. I know I might be worrying too much about this, but its really stressing me out!! My GSD mix, Jessie, tore both her ACLs (Both have been repaired by surgery - poor girl), so I'm always really paranoid that Kip is going to get hurt too.
So I'm thinking that maybe I'll wait a week or so, and keep a close eye on Kip for any discomfort. If I still hear the noise, I'll make an appointment. The vet might think I'm being silly, but at least I'll know what's going on!!
Any thoughts, or experience with 'clicking puppies'?
