Collar slipping over head

Simba13

Forums Enthusiast
I have a four month old Sheltie and his collar keeps slipping over his head. Luckily it has only ever happened in the park and his recall is pretty good. I'm afraid its going ti happen on busy street someday however. Can anyone recommend an ideal collar that wont keep slipping of over his little head?
 
Use a harness for walking -- such as the Puppia harness or another soft comfortable harness OR you can use a martingale collar which is a limited slip collar but it tightens enough to prevent slipping out.

Don't walk on the collar, shelties can and do slip them. Collars are for hanging ID tags on.
 
Thank you for the quick reply's. He has a harness too but has managed to slip out of that. I can't tighten it anymore or it would be uncomfortably tight. He just seems to be a master at escaping! Simba has an extremely long coat for a puppy which many Sheltie enthusiasts in my area have complimented, so all that extra hair makes it hard to get the harness to fit right.

I will have a look into the matingale collars.

Thanks again!
 
Can't agree more. My Trace was always pretty good with a collar, and was a good boy on riding in the truck - but getting him into the truck was a different story - was always afraid he would back out of his collar.

I have an XS soft harness on its way from amazon for little Baker, and will graduate to a rolled leather Martingale when he's older.
 
I actually found a 2 strap harness for my shepherd who is REALLY fearful. The 2 straps with one around the girth and one further back and smaller makes it impossible to pull out of. The sheltie, though, is on a martingale but she doesn't bolt or back up.
 
Don't walk on the collar, shelties can and do slip them. Collars are for hanging ID tags on.

Really? Would you recommend this only for pups or adults as well? We can't obviously use a harness right. He's managed to slip out of one of those anyway. He wears a martingale when we go outside for walks. I'm wondering now if that would be not secure enough when we start visiting the classes in case he does start to wig out a bit....
 
I use these collars. They're soft and forgiving, but the dogs can't slip them. I found with the martingale collars I used that once there was no tension on the leash, the collar loosened up and easily slid right over the dog's head, defeating the purpose. After this happened several times in the vet's office (thankfully not in the parking lot) I switched to these collars and I love them. I use them now for puppies and adults.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf.../Cherrybrook_Championship_Nylon_Choke_Collars
 
I use these collars. They're soft and forgiving, but the dogs can't slip them. I found with the martingale collars I used that once there was no tension on the leash, the collar loosened up and easily slid right over the dog's head, defeating the purpose. After this happened several times in the vet's office (thankfully not in the parking lot) I switched to these collars and I love them. I use them now for puppies and adults.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf.../Cherrybrook_Championship_Nylon_Choke_Collars

Interesting - I've never seen these before. Do you leave them on all the time?
 
Back
Top