Color Charts

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
There are lots of people, like me, who are curious about the virtual rainbow of colors shelties come in. I thought it would be interesting to post a compilation of our favorite sites pertaining to colors, genes, etc.

Perhaps we could have Kelly move this thread to the Reference section of the site once we have a good list going, so that its easier for people to find?

Here are a couple of my favorite sites.

The first one is for collies but much of it applies to shelties.

http://www.serenadecollies.com/ColorChart.html

http://www.athro.com/sheltie.html

http://www.snovali.com/other/colors.htm

http://www.lynnlea.com/SheltieCoatColor.htm

And last but not least, this last one which explains the color genes written by our own GeeRome

http://sheltie-hair.blogspot.com/2008/10/shetland-sheepdog-coat-color-genetics.html
 
Great thread! I'll jump in when I have more time! Just keeping up on today's posts has consumed my entire evening!
 
I have the Sheltie International color Inheritance charts for the Shetland Sheepdog. I love this book. Its pictures are elementary but shows the idea of you breed this color to this color and this is what will result. Also Kimhttp://www.laureate.ca/sheltiecolours.html does a wonderful job of photographing all her wonderful colors shes produced and the variations with in each color
 
Wonderful website lightplum.

It said the maghogany sable was the dam of the bi-blue(beautiful bitch) Ember's mom was a dark maghoagany sable and she has the same light blue color. Do people who have seen sable to merle breedings notice a light blue color or that just a coincidense?
 
I have the Sheltie International color Inheritance charts for the Shetland Sheepdog. I love this book. Its pictures are elementary but shows the idea of you breed this color to this color and this is what will result.

That's the book I have! For some reason, I keep thinking it's a Sheltie Talk book, but it's not!

Simple drawings of the colors, but it explains what combinations will give.
 
Thanks Caro. I really like the second site. There is a link to a sheltie color calulator and you can do virtual breeding of any color.

Here are a couple other sites I like.
Genetic charts. Very nice but technical. Advance learning.:smile2: The links on the pages have great pictures.
http://www.norcalshelties.org/SheltieColors/colorinheritance.html

Shows the liver/red shelites. Like an Aussie.
http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/Photindex.html#Odd

It's probably just the semi-crouching position of the dog, but the liver Sheltie's legs look short in proportion to the body and the ear set looks off, too.
 
I have the Sheltie International color Inheritance charts for the Shetland Sheepdog. I love this book. Its pictures are elementary but shows the idea of you breed this color to this color and this is what will result. Also Kimhttp://www.laureate.ca/sheltiecolours.html does a wonderful job of photographing all her wonderful colors shes produced and the variations with in each color

You beat me to it! I was going to post this link as well! :wink2: (Kim co-owns Bacca's mom!)
 
Back
Top