Commenting on chubby shelties

I would be a bit annoyed if someone told me my dogs were fat without having seen and put their hands on them. My sheltie is about 9.5kgs and is nice and trim though its all about size and build.

Though if they had actually seen and checked them and told me they were fat I wouldn't be annoyed more embarrassed that I had let them reach that stage. I have met some fat shelties and have only mentioned it to one owner not because I don't think they should be told but I struggle to get the nerve to bring it up directly. I do though try and bring the issue of weights up in a round about way though and try to highlight how much mine weighs so they have something to compare to in hope that they might realize and make a change.
 
I think I would only comment to someone I knew well. I recently had an experience in my therapy dog group that reminded me that when it comes to their dogs, people not only have thin skins, but the also misconstrue every innocent remark at every possible opportunity. :rolleyes2:

Yes, I am very sensitive about my dog. If anyone were to say anything negative about my dog, as innocent as it may be, I wouldn't take it so well. Heck I wrinkled my nose when I started talking about some dog-related subject at the dog park, and the girl said, "wow you sure know a lot about dogs!" and I was a little insulted because she made me feel like a know-it-all where I felt I was just sharing some information I found interesting. But talking to her later, she didn't say it out of malice.

Also, the owner of our flyball club once told me to cut back on Missy's food a little. I was initially a little put-off, but he didn't say, "She's chubby", he started with "how much do you feed her? I think she would have an easier time going over the jumps if she was a little lighter. Maybe cut back on her food a little." Is she overweight? Not even close! He just likes athletic dogs to be a little more svelte than your average house dog. That was last Fall, so she's gotten more toned since then, but not really lost weight. The vet said she's the perfect weight for an athletic dog, and if she weren't an athlete, she would prefer to see her closer to 25 lbs. Our club trainer agrees, and the other day when weight was brought up again at a practice (another dog), he said Missy was fine.

I kinda went on a rant there, but yes, I think people can take things the wrong way. I think it depends on who your audience is. I've only said something to one person at the dog park, and I casually said as I was loving on his dog, "you must be loved, you look like you've had one too many cookies! It's okay me too!" and the dog's owner laughed and said yes. I don't think he took it personally.
 
Not everyone believes in the health consequences of being overweight.


The problem that I have with this statement, is that not everyone is privy to not only a pets overall health condition but their owners. I've not only had people comment on Beau' weight but mine as well.

Its really not anyone's business to comment on size of people animals, anymore than it is about commenting about a person's size, gender, or any other myriad of things that we can judge a living human or canine being about.

This being said, just because an animal or human for that matter is with in healthy weight and height limits doesn't mean that they are any more or less healthy than the visibly fat canine. Yet, some how the bad eating habits of these individuals and canines are somehow tolerable because they are deemed more pleasant to look at.
 
In the absence of the "bite my tongue" emoticon, I feel compelled to enter the fray. In truth, I've been squiring in my seat for some time, and I cannot continue to contain myself.

I look at this issue from the point of view of the receiver of the information not the deliverer. There are far too any motivators for the individual offering the "helpful input" to tackle here. But, as the receiver of such "helpful input", I would look at the context of the comments.

What context? If I ask someone to comment on my dog (Is he too fat?), it would be absurd to take offense at the response, regardless of how it is delivered. Likewise, it is unlikely that I would take offense if a vet, trainer or service provider offered critical input. Unsolicited input, good or bad, isn't likely to garner much of a response (other than a polite acknowledgement that I heard what was said) because I am not fueled by unsolicited comments.

On the other hand, we have discussed a few "helpful inputs" that I would most assuredly take offense to. Example: If I am sitting in the vet's office and another client felt it necessary to (unsolicited, mind you) offer comments about how fat my dog is, I would certainly and most assuredly not take that kindly (true or untrue). What would be his/her point? Would he/she not assume that our shared veterinary practitioners couldn't see the physical condition of my dog and therefore advise me on treatment? That's not "helpful input", that's just meddling. Example: If a family member or friend feels it necessary, " every time he/she sees me, to comment on my dog's condition, I am not likely to take it well the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 10th time. At some point, it become less about caring and more about brow beating. Context!
 
Dblock, I respectively disagree. I can't compare a pet's weight to a human's weight. I would never tell a person they're overweight. People have some control of their own weight by deciding what goes into their mouth, how much they exercise, etc. Obviously there are many other reasons for weight gain like medical issues, mental disabilities, genetics, money, so I would never judge a person by their weight. I don't know their situation. If someone like my parents or a sibling had a drastic weight gain, I would say something because I know their situation and maybe there is something medically going on.

A dog has no control over their weight. A dog cannot decide how much food is placed in their bowl, treats it gets, exercise it receives or vet care. Humans are solely responsible for that. We took on that role the minute we brought them home.

A lot of people don't realize they're overfeeding their pets, feeding low-quality food or that there are medical conditions that affect weight like an under active thyroid. So I have no problem informing a friend or relative that their dog is a chubbster, asking what they feed, how much they feed, & explaining it could be a medical condition. I spared my mother's dog of terrible allergies by suggesting she switches food. I may have saved a friend's dogs life by telling her to stop feeding treats made in China when her dog got sick.

But I would never just approach a random stranger and start criticizing their dog. That would be rude. If it is someone I know or someone that I am already having a dog-related conversation with, I will respectably ask them some questions, let them know it's okay to cut back on food or decrease treats, suggest they speak to their vet. I wouldn't push it though. Like the woman I mentioned in my previous post, who said her dog was all fluff. I dropped it after that.

I think a dog who does agility should be informed that their dog is overweight because the person is asking their dog to jump over obstacles and perform a physical activity. That extra weight is going to put more stress on joints and organs and could affect the dog's future health. The dog doesn't take itself to agility, we take it. Again, I wouldn't drive it down the person's throat and would say it has nice as possible.
 
Last edited:
So now I must confess that fat pets are my pet peeve! I have told people, in what I hope is a nice way, (after having my hands on) that their dog/cat is overweight. I have found most people are somewhat embarrassed by it. If asked to explain why I think so, I'll point it out - usually rolls of fat and no ribs to be found. One Aussie in our neighborhood looks like a rectangle when looking down on him.

I just state that it is much easier on their joints to be a healthy weight, and who doesn't want their dog to live a long and healthy life? I know with some it's in one ear and out the other, and I only say it once to that person. But, it's kinda like telling the person out walking along our creek with their brand new 8 week old puppy with no immunity..... that they really shouldn't have the dog out in dog frequented areas before all its shots are complete. I think it's often just ignorance. I don't belabor the point however, and only comment on it the one time, with a smile.

Unless the dog runs free on an avocado ranch, or has a medical condition, there is no excuse. WE control what they eat and how much.

Brooke came to us very chunky at 28 pounds on 16 inches. I immediately cut her food back and gradually up-ed her exercise. Two months later she is just under 25 pounds, and I think feels and moves better. She's certainly easier to pick up! :lol:
 
Js ohio

you've hit the nail on the head, Everything is about context, and delivery. A cyber high five.

I would like to remind the rest of you of a recent episode in which a news anchor was hounded by a member of a general public about her weight. He stated in his letter that her weight made her a terrible roll model for young girls.

Her response was priceless and I wish I were able to upload it but, I'm not computer savvy enough to do so. I think it translates into our relationships to dogs as well because as I stated earlier people aren't privy into other people's lives. We don't know whether or not they've taken their dogs to their vet, we don't know what they've been feeding them, we don't know whether or not, these animals have just been rescued. It is for that line of reasoning, that personally, I would never question an owner. That's between a owner and their Vet.
 
I would like to remind the rest of you of a recent episode in which a news anchor was hounded by a member of a general public about her weight. He stated in his letter that her weight made her a terrible roll model for young girls.

Her response was priceless and I wish I were able to upload it but, I'm not computer savvy enough to do so. I think it translates into our relationships to dogs as well because as I stated earlier people aren't privy into other people's lives. We don't know whether or not they've taken their dogs to their vet, we don't know what they've been feeding them, we don't know whether or not, these animals have just been rescued. It is for that line of reasoning, that personally, I would never question an owner. That's between a owner and their Vet.

You explained what we are all saying. No one is saying you run across the street and tell someone their dog is fat. You ask questions first because maybe they are a rescue that the owner is trying to reduce their weight or have a medical issue. A conversation for me would go like "Your dog is adorable blah blah, what do you feed your dog, I feed this, I heard this, has your dog seen a vet recently, did you know low-thyroid is very common in dogs and can cause weight gain,...blah blah." Not all people are as dog savvy as us and know about better dog food, proper vet care, etc. Like the woman I spoke to last year, her dog was overweight, she knew and tried reducing food & treats, but it didn't work. She had no idea that low-thyroid can cause weight gain & is common in shelties. Since exercise & reduced food didn't help, maybe it's a medical issue. That didn't even occur to her. She said she was going to make a vet appointment. For all I know, discussing her dog's weight may have saved its life.

If my dog had a weight issues, matted fur, fleas, a tick, rotten teeth, overgrown nails, red blotchy skin, a cough, I would have no problem with someone informing me that I should bring her to the vet or give her a bath or whatever. I love my dog and would do anything to make sure she lives a long happy & healthy life and I think most people feel that way, they just might not be as informed.
 
I don't know that I would be able to say something...only because I'm not sure how tactful I could be.

I'm SUPER OCD about my dogs' weight. As Randi said, I am solely responsible for their health, and especially knowing that I ask them to be more active/put more stress on their bodies as performance dogs, I want to make sure I'm keeping them at the healthiest weight possible.

I believe that about 75% of the shelties I see are overweight. And honestly, the majority of the 25% that are not are shelties I see at trials.

Seeing those pet owners with really overweight dogs is hard for me. I want to fix it, and even when I am able to tell a friend, they usually just laugh and say that they are "trying"--but then their dogs get fatter and 2 years later they are still over weight.

I know I've told this story before, but it seems relevant. When we first started agility with Bentley, about 4 years ago, our trainer (who I didn't know well at the time) told us that he could stand to lose a little weight. I was so mad. I kept telling myself "what did she know"? But we did decide to cut back a little. He was 25 pounds at the time. Now he is 17, and shouldn't ever be much more than 18, in my opinion.

I feel like a bad owner for not knowing for the first year how much extra weight he was carrying. I'm glad we did something, and know we'll never go back there.
 
I've been told more than once at agility trials that Dixie is fat.
Now, she is not super lean like Cranberry is but she's not fat either.
They eat the same food- Cran gets 1/2 cup twice a day and Dix gets 1/4 cup twice a day. they get about the same amount of treats for training.
Dixie was spayed before a year and Cran wasn't neutered until 13 months.
both have had their thyroid tests and both are normal.
I did ask the vet about their weights and he said that she was fine and that if Cranberry weren't a performance dog that he would be too skinny......

but no one will ever say that Cran is underweight and he should be fed more.....
 
Back
Top