Silaria
Forums Sage
I'm super fussy about the weight of my dogs; moreso than my own. (For the record, I'm overweight, know it and doing something about it but, as we all know, it's a slow process.) When Edan is in full coat, he can look overweight from all the fluff; in reality he's a whopping 17.4 lbs, and most of that is muscle.
When it comes to other people's dogs, what I say depends on the situation I'm in. If I'm just out walking and notice someone has an overweight dog, I don't approach random stranger X and comment on their dog.
If I'm talking to someone and I'm petting their dog, I'll inquire about what they feed and how much in a polite way.
If I'm teaching an agility class and a dog is overweight or very close I'll comment to my student about maintaining a healthy weight and how important it is for their joints if they plan to continue with agility. I'll often recommend cutting back on the food on nights when they have training and supplement with their training treats.
There's a Sheltie owner in my Treibball class who's little girl is overweight, the owner commented on it herself. When I asked how much she was feeding per sitting she couldn't tell me because she wasn't using a measuring scoop, just putting "what looked right" in her bowl. I advised her to go to the dollar store, pick up a cheap set of measuring spoons and start measuring what she's feeding. Doing this, and reducing the portion to take training treats into account, has really helped her little girl.
The main thing to remember is people don't like being told their "wrong"; and they know having an overweight dog is their fault. It's better to proceed with caution and bring the subject up innocently than to hit them upside the head with a 'clue-by-four'.
When it comes to other people's dogs, what I say depends on the situation I'm in. If I'm just out walking and notice someone has an overweight dog, I don't approach random stranger X and comment on their dog.
If I'm talking to someone and I'm petting their dog, I'll inquire about what they feed and how much in a polite way.
If I'm teaching an agility class and a dog is overweight or very close I'll comment to my student about maintaining a healthy weight and how important it is for their joints if they plan to continue with agility. I'll often recommend cutting back on the food on nights when they have training and supplement with their training treats.
There's a Sheltie owner in my Treibball class who's little girl is overweight, the owner commented on it herself. When I asked how much she was feeding per sitting she couldn't tell me because she wasn't using a measuring scoop, just putting "what looked right" in her bowl. I advised her to go to the dollar store, pick up a cheap set of measuring spoons and start measuring what she's feeding. Doing this, and reducing the portion to take training treats into account, has really helped her little girl.
The main thing to remember is people don't like being told their "wrong"; and they know having an overweight dog is their fault. It's better to proceed with caution and bring the subject up innocently than to hit them upside the head with a 'clue-by-four'.
Last edited:

