cuz it's a Sheltie...

Toffee's Mom

Forums Sage
Getting a little tired of the people who suffer from Sheltie envy! Lol
Lately Toffee has done really well in agility class, yesterday he did a great push which I am just starting to train for, we put it in a tiny snooker course...
Naturally Toffee is handler focused and good on a tight course in classroom.
If I hear ONE more time, oh its just cuz he's a Sheltie, so am going to smack somebody!!
Not like I put a years worth of training into him or anything, eh?
Mind you he is a perfect dog for a beginner and slow learner like myself :biggrin2:
 
my son hears that all the time in 4H. One girl even said I dont know why we are even showing we know Caleb (my son) is going to win. I was upset at that comment, and wanted to say to the girl, maybe if you weent to training classes every week your golden retriever would be just as good!
 
Nothing like putting in all that effort and then have people assume it's just the dog!:rolleyes2: I need to train Brie next to you and then people will realize your efforts as they watch her jumping all over me because I have treats! Jump, jump, 'you have treats', sit? what? jump, jump, 'you have treats'!!:lol:
 
LOL! Irene, I hear you. Every breed has its strengths and weaknesses. Herding dogs tend to excel in performance, but they still need to be trained, and the handler faces different training challenges than someone who's showing a sporting breed, etc.

Sounds like you might want to slip a 'Don't complain ... TRAIN!' decal in your Christmas cards to your classmates.
 
They should have had Ember as a puppy. If she was my first dog, I would have found a corner and had a good long cry. She was a very difficult puppy and way to smart for her own good..

Diva was not easy either. She was so high energy and just a touch ADD. Smart oh smart. But try and focus that.

I tell people yes in some ways they are easy. As in they catch on quickly but then they like to make up their own exercises or do it on their own, if you don't keep them on task. They are thinkers and will question you if they don't see the point. It balances out in the long run.

Less just face it, most people couldn't handle a dog smarter than themselves.
 
There are blessings and then...well, there are things like Beckon today. Last Rally station: a simple halt, sit. He halts and slooooooollllyyyyyy lowers his furry a$$ to the floor. I swear, I could have sung the Star Spangled Banner in the time it took him to match tail to floor!!!! :rolleyes2:
 
There are blessings and then...well, there are things like Beckon today. Last Rally station: a simple halt, sit. He halts and slooooooollllyyyyyy lowers his furry a$$ to the floor. I swear, I could have sung the Star Spangled Banner in the time it took him to match tail to floor!!!! :rolleyes2:

he just didn't want the fun to end:wink2:
 
Diva was not easy either. She was so high energy and just a touch ADD. Smart oh smart. But try and focus that.

Less just face it, most people couldn't handle a dog smarter than themselves.


Haha!! Riley sounds like Diva!! My trainer keeps saying that Riley will be fabulous when he matures and stops being soooo ADHD!

People don't realize that Shelties can be easy to train, but they are a heck of a lot of smarter than most dogs and they know it too!
 
Back
Top